So I am type 2 diabetic and I want to know if I can drink beer.  I usually go out on the weekend and drink cola but I'd like to drink a beer or two.  Would this be ok or will this mess me up?

Hello Guest.... you can have alcohol but you need to be aware of how to incorporate it into your diabetic meal planning.  You should count your alcoholic beverage as 2 fats.  Additionally, some alcoholic drinks have more carbs than others, like sweet wine.  Beer may have about 13 grams a serving so you shouldn't have more than one when you are out, possibly 2 servings if you save one of your carb units from dinner. 

Are there other diabetics that drink on the weekends?  Do you have any trouble with regulating your blood sugars?

Hey, Guest. First of all, beer's never 'good' for you. However, I don't think it will "mess [you] up". As long as you don't drink too much, you should be good. And like ybanks said, you'll have to count the drinks accordingly. It doesn't sound like you drink too often, so that's good, but cola's not necessarily good, either. Watch how much you drink of beer, cola, or anything high is carbs/sugar. Have fun this weekend, but be careful!

Yes, watch your carbs especially with mixed drinks because orange juice, grenadine, and other sweet additives are in many of the popular drinks. You seem to only want to drink beer so you would be good to stick with that or if you don't mind it, there are low-carb beers available as well. That may be a better option when you are out. Has anyone else tried the low-carb beers on the market? Do they affect your blood sugars? Do they taste comparable to regular beer?