Yes, you know I like my beer. Now, is there really any difference between having a beer or two or a soda or two? I actually cannot drink soda due to the massive carbonation. It hurts my GIRD. Beer doesn't give me any problems, and I like the taste better anyway. Don't get me wrong, I still drink alot of water and milk, just enjoy a beer on occasion.

I'd take an O'Doul's before I'd take a Coke. I guess that's about the same minus the alcohol.

Given the choice I would go with soda.

Now, are these both just personal preferences? If so, then I don't feel bad about having my beer.

I guess it depends on what you mean by better. Better calorie-wise, or for carboloading, before or after a run, or just because? BTW.. Beer gets my vote for nearly all reasons.. ;)

I would have to say beer is better for you than soda. Although both are not very good for you in excess. (even though alot of beer feels better than a lot of soda , until the next morning. )

Sugars, Sodas are full of simple carbohydrates. These are the simple sugars the lead to insulin spites and sugar highs followed by the dreaded sugar lows. (I get these quite often these days. :( )
Beer on the other hand, generally is full of complex carbohydrates. When brewing beer the malted barley (and other grains) is covered from stratches to simple sugars to alcohol and CO2. Once the beer has fully fermented you are left with some complex carbos, alcohol, water and CO2. (to keep it simple) These sugars will be a little harder to break down by your body won't cause such a drastic spike of insulin.

I have heard the CO2 is bad for the body and causes the bones to become brittle???? I don't know if this is true but as you said most beers are not as carbonated as sodas. However both are usually force carbonated. I have also heard that nature carbonation is easlier on the body. If this is true then look for "bottle condition" beers. This is where some sugar or malt is added at bottling and the fermentation in the sealed bottle causes the CO2 to dissolve into the liquid. My home brew is bottle condition, but most breweries force carbonate to say time and have a more consistent product.

I hope this helps justify your drinking habit.

Thanks, Paul! I am sold...

Since they are small, let's have two! 8O

While it's true that sodas are made of more simple carbs, and beer more complex carbs. The amount in either is really not enough to make a difference either way.
The carbonation in sodas doesn't do much more than cause gas in some folks, however it's the phosphoric acid that wreaks havoc on bones.
Both, however are what are called 'empty calories' because neither adds much, if any, nutritional value to your daily caloric intake, but rather just add calories.
Also, both (if the soda has caffeine) are diuretics.
So, when making your decision, find out the real reason you want to go with one or the other.
Do you just want something cold to drink? Either will do.
Are you trying to increase the amount of fluid intake? Neither, try water.

I'll bet that if you cut down on both soda and beer, you'll drop 10 to 20 pounds in two months.

I wish I could give both of those up. They are my two serious vices, plus M&M's and Salted in the shell peanuts!

I'm a homebrewer too, and have been known to drink a beer or two to carbo load. (Hafta watch out for that dehyrdration though!) Another thing to consider is that beer is full of vitamins and micronutrients that are not found in soda.