Hi, my sister is suffering from depression since her divorce. She doesn't go out, has trouble sleeping and eating. The antidepressants that she is taking aren't very helpful. I have heard that there is a treatment that can teach you to change the pattern of your brainwaves and that it helps with the depression. I am not all that familiar with this new age medicine and I would like you to explain to me can it really help my sister?

Hi, yes there is this type of treatment and it is called biofeedback therapy. The EEG is used to monitor the brainwaves. Biofeedback therapists try to teach people to control processes in the body that scientist think are not under voluntary control. One of these processes is the neurotransmission in the brain. The patient is trained to regulate brainwaves activity in order to stabilize the communication between the brain structures. This communication breach is the main cause of depression and by treating this problem depression can be cured. Have in mind that this is long term process and that during this time your sister should continue taking her medications.