Hi, I have been living with constant neck pain for two months. It has paralyzed my life. It has affected my work, my social life, sometimes the pain is so bad and I get so nervous that I start arguing with my family members for no reason. Is there some kind of therapy that doesn't consider taking pain killers? The worst thing is that the pain started at the same time I got promoted at work. I really need to focus on the quality of my work and this neck pain is distracting my attention and lowering my performance.

Hi, I believe that your neck pain is not physiological but psychological. The promotion at your office has been a stressful event. It has caused your defense mechanism to react. The typical reaction in these types of events is muscle spasm which causes your neck pain. So instead of taking pain killers you should focus on relaxing your muscles and on learning to deal with stress. Fortunately, there is a method that can teach you just that. It is called biofeedback therapy. It teaches patients to gain control over certain body function. In your case a biofeedback practitioner can teach how to relax and cope with stressful situations. During the therapy you are connected to a machine that measures the tension in your muscles. The result is shown in light bulb flashes. The biofeedback trainer tries to teach you to relax your muscles. The more relaxed you are the slower the light bulb flashes.