In response to:

"I'm replying to the bitter taste questions. I had the same thing and found a Dutch forum were > 200 people have a bitter taste in the mouth after eating something I don't know the translation for, it would be something like: pain tree pip but I don't know if that makes any sense. This is a "seed" from a pine tree (?) and is commonly used in salads. It can take up to three days after eating for the bitter taste to start and lasts from 2 days till 2 weeks."

I found this post to be amazing! Several others verified that their problems could be pine nut related as well.
I have been eating raw pine nuts on my kale for the past three days!
I was starting to wonder if I had liver disease from what I reading in other posts. Pine nuts!!
I wonder why I never noticed it before when I ate pine nuts?

My partner and I have a bitter taste in our mouths when we eat. We ate pine nuts 4 days ago so were very pleased to see your comment. Do you know how we can get rid of it?

wow, i was freaking out thinkin all sorts of things. but i started getting the metallic taste in my mouth on monday afternoon and i ate pine nuts on saturday afternoon in my salad. was there anything you could do to get the taste out of your mouth or just live with it?!?!?!

Good luck. Chinese pine nuts are the cause (Sometimes via Korea/Vietnam/Russia/Trader Joes)

It took over 2 weeks for me. Just be sure to get plenty of vegetable juice (buy a juicer). Beet juice, carrot-lime juice, spinach-celery-ginger, etc). Take Vitamin E 3 times a day.

Patience is the key. Some days it's freaking disgusting and you will think you will need to live your life this way!! :'(

Hi everyone!

I'm a food scientist in the Netherlands and I've just recently found out about the pine nut syndrome. I would very much like to investigate the cause of this problem, hence if anyone possesses or has access to any batches of pine nuts that have caused the metallic bitter aftertaste, would you please drop me an email at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use
? Thank you and your assistance is very much appreciated! :)

Best regards,
Grace

I came to the blog after searching for causes of bitter aftertaste and found the pine nuts connection. In the US people report this issue after consuming nuts from multiple sources, you can check this in other blogs. Our nuts came from Trader Joe in Chicago; we had just one meal and the symptoms are lingering for almost two weeks. I think the nuts are probably rancid (although, it is not as obvious as with other oils, perhaps because the particular fragrance of the nuts -the terpenes seem to mask it) are we are experiencing the results of metabolic oxidative stress. I am a scientist and can test the indicators of oxidation in the oil (presence of malondialdhyde by NMR, IR or HPLC after DNPH derivatization) and biomarkers of oxidative stress such as isoprostanes and 4-hydroxynonenal in urine or plasma. I will have to extract the oil if you are interested in testing it. Let me know.

I'm also currently suffering from this! I ate pine nuts for the first time in months on Friday evening and by Sunday I noticed that my food was tasting strange. Yesterday, I threw my milk out because I thought it was off in my tea and in my porridge for breakfast. But then the same thing happened after lunch and evening meal - a really bitter aftertaste in my mouth after swallowing. It is now Tuesday and I felt almost sick after eating my sandwich at lunchtime, again with this bitter taste, which prompted me to google it on my lunch break and discovered this link to pine nuts.
I think it is terrible that shops are able to sell them still if this has been happening for a while! >:(

To the scientist in the netherlands I have just suffered from the same syndrome just after eating pinenuts and I do still have the pineseeds, but since this website blocks your details I can't contact you, and obviously I can't post my email either, how can I contact you?

I found this answer when searching for a reason for the bitter taste i had when eating. It certainly only occurred after eating pine nuts in a salad a week ago. I am in Australia and the brand is "We are Nuts" by Olympic Fine Foods (a Western Australian brand selling all types of nuts), and they are "packed in Australia from local and imported products" (doesn't everything say that these days?).

Is it some sort of allergic reaction to something in Pine Nuts? I had a pimple on the tip of my tongue and a few tender patches at much the same time. I have just eaten pine nuts in a salad with my Christmas Dinner, so will see if it gets worse or if any more sore spots on my tongue occur.

My cure? Eat chocolate and keep eating chocolate to take away the bitter taste XD

i have had this bitter taste mainly at the back of my mouth for at least 6 day's now. my partner also had it 1 day before i did, but with her it went away after 3 days. this taste seem to come after i eat something, could it be pine nuts? we both did have some a couple of days before we got the symptoms, but i dont know why mines is lasting so long. is it because i may have eaten more pine nuts than my partner? or could this be something else? ? :-(

Hi Aktar

From what i have read, some people get the effect immediately whereas for others it can start up to three days after eating the pine nuts, and can last anything from a few days to two weeks. In my case, it lasted a week. I had already eaten salad with pine nuts from the same packet in the day i discovered this and other sites (i must have eaten at least one pine nut in the salad), but suffered no ill effects the second time. Have patience; it will go away.

Two days ago I also ate pine nuts and also have a terrible bitter taste in my mouth every time I eat something-hence the google on "bitter taste in mouth" and finding this site. I ate untoasted ones before I roasted them and am wondering if this has something to do with it.

Hi Dankat - i doubt roasting would make any difference.  Check out pine mouth on wiki pedia.  My taste lasted for about two weeks before subsiding.  I will not eat anything with pine nuts again. 

I can confirm that it was Trader Joe's here in California that was the source of the pine nuts - that apparently made the bitterness happen.  Very unpleasant.

Hi Jeremy; from my research at the time it was a different pine nut from China being added to pine nuts that results in the bitterness.  It has been reported from different countries.  I am in Australia and purchased an Australian Brand, but like everything these days it states "Packed in Australia from local and imported products".  Also these days practically everything comes from China here in Australia.  Perhaps Trader Joe also imports from China.