Community Administrator
This post is an extension of the Bitter taste in mouth while eating thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

This morning I noticed a bitter taste in my mouth...never experiencing this before my boyfriend and I did some research and found this site. I had pine nuts for the first time in years two days ago, and I had handfuls of them. After reading all of the posts, I went and inspected my pine nut bag. It's imported from china and through a company called Amport Foods... something else thats interesting, if you take one of the pine nuts and squeeze it between your fingers, its filled with pine oil! I would imagine the best way to cleanse your liver of this oil is too try to eat/drink things that will detoxify you. I'm currently drinking a lot of green tea and eating citrus, which is known for its antioxidants and cleansing properties. I hope mine bitter taste does last as long as some of yours has! Two weeks? Thats crazy! I wonder if the nuts were toasted prior to sale if it would make a difference, if so, the FDA should probably not allow "raw" pine nuts to be imported into the US.. especially from China.. lol

Hey, I live in England, thank god for the internet! I started getting a horrible bitter taste in my mouth today and i didnt know what it came from until i started googling and found these forums, i ate quite a few pine nuts a couple of days ago and am shocked at how lax the shops are with these products. Does anybody know any specifics like what exactly causes it, maybe the oil? Also is there anything you can do to get it out of your system quicker? I really hope this doesnt last too long.

I am in Scotland and noticed a horrible metallic bitter taste when eating, starting 3 days ago - not getting any better. 4 days ago I had pasta with pesto and pinenuts. I've eaten pinenuts before with no problems. I hope it is this because it's something that can be easily controlled.

Susan

My symptoms lasted about 12 days. Feeling fine now, but I'm staying away from the pine nuts for awhile.

Hoorah !
Just like all you others - thought I had an incurable problem - have been hating every mouthful of food and drink the past several days. Couldn't even enjoy my pancakes on Shrove Tuesday !
Then BINGO ! I found this thread and realised that guess what I had in my salad lunch last Sunday ? Yep - Pine Nuts !
Not many replies from people with any detox suggestions or experiences of how to relieve the suffering.
I yearn for a regular tasting mouthful of food !
Eaten Pine Nuts many times in the past - even ones that have been hanging around in the cupboard for ages - never a problem.
So what has changed ?

How long have you had this taste in your mouth?

Is it truly bitter or would you describe it as another poster did, metallic?

When do you notice the taste the most?

A metallic taste could indicate some reaction to medicine or an array of other things.

A bitter taste is usually associated with acid build up in the stomach and could be related to GERD (commonly known as "heart burn")

I have this also - this is definitely due to pine nuts - I am going to the food standards agency.

I have thad the exact same symptoms after eating pine nuts - this is definitely the cause. I tried reporting it to the Food Standards Agency in the UK.

Predictably they gave me the brush off and asked me to contact my local authority. I am waiting up to ten days for Camden council to call me back.

I would urge everyone else who has experienced this problem to do the same, and contact their local authority. Perhaps we may be able to figure out what caused this and whether it caused us permanent damage.

Please can noone confuse the issue by suggesting that we are all crazy and this is not pine nut related. We have all had the same symptoms 2-3 days after eating pine nuts from China. The evidence seems compelling.

I have had the bitter taste in my mouth after eating for the last three days. It seems to be the worst after eating sweet things like fruit. I had been eating pesto containing pine nuts (Kirkland brand from Costco) up until I developed the bad taste. I am in Canada.

I've been experiencing the bitter taste also, but didnt think I had any pine nuts. After reading mincog's post, I realized that I too had eaten pesto sauce (also from costco) that contained pine nuts. I'm in Southern California and today was day 3 of bitter taste after everything I eat!

I'm never ever ever ever ever going within a mile of another pine nut.
Me and my wife have tried everything short of surgerically removing our tongues to get rid of this bitter introduction to chinese cuisine!

These links shed some light on the matter.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_nut#Risks_of_eating_pine_nuts

euro-emergencymed.com/pt/re/ejem/fulltext.00063110-200103000-00036.htm;jsessionid=H1LdGrsqphKBR1rDfWQBPJJGJKn8l8JpMWsz4y2LX5RyPqQyJ4py!-383192544!181195628!8091!-1?&fullimage=true

My husband and I have been thinking that we had somehow been poisoned dealing with this nasty bitter taste (worse when you eat food) but are relieved to find there are others (lots of them) dealing with the same thing. Our pine nuts were imported from china also and packed in the USA by American Imporintg Co. The brand is Amport Foods. We have never had them before until last Friday (bought at Sams Club) and then ate them for a couple days. We never noticed anything until Sunday afternoon and evening when everything we ate had a bitter taste that made it hard to eat. I thought my egg whites were tainted somehow. My husband describes it like tasting a dissolving asprin in the back of your mouth at all times. (He has never suffered from heartburn) I called our local health food store to see if they had ever heard of any reaction like this and they said no. I think something is very wrong here. There should be a warning printed on the bag if this is something that normally happens. If its not something normal the Agriculture Dept. or Government need to get involved to find out what is going on with the imports from China. Its been 3 days now and the bitterness seems to get stronger. Mint gum does help me but my poor husband even tried altoids and no luck. He did say that an orange seemed to help.

It’s good to know I’m not alone. On Sunday, my children and I ate pesto (containing pine nuts) purchased from Costco in Ottawa, Canada and the next day all of us began experiencing a horrible, bitter taste on our tongues. The pesto was the only food that was different from our usual diet, and that we had all eaten, but somehow it didn’t seem to make sense that it could have this effect given we’ve eaten it in the past. But I now believe that’s what’s doing it. I suggest everyone who is having the same experience immediately call the 1-800 number on the jar (1-800-774-2678 in Canada) as well as contact the Food and Drug Administration in the U.S. or the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. This product needs to be pulled as soon as possible. If not for the internet, I likely never would have discovered others were having the same problem.

Same deal here -- although what I have been eating was a lot of Costco's pesto, comes in a clear plastic jar. It took me a second when starting to read this thread, I was thinking "Hrm I haven't eaten any pine nuts," then I realized - doh! Pesto!

Much appreciation to all other posters. I have had this for 3 days now so by the looks of all the other posts I can expect it to start fading soon.