I'm fascinated to hear other people are experiencing the same bitter taste sensation after eating pesto. On Sunday, my children and I ate pesto purchased from Costco in Ottawa, Canada and since Monday we've all had the most bitter taste in our mouths that we can't seem to shake. The pesto seemed to be the only thing that was different in our diet that we had all eaten but we didn't see how it could produce this result. My internet seach has revealed we're not alone. I suggest everyone who is experiencing this immediately call the 1-800 number on the jar (in Canada the number is 1-800-774-2678..it may be different in the U.S.). Given all this growing anecdotal evidence (just imagine all the people who haven't made the connection yet) it would seem there is a real problem with this product. Calls to the FDA in the U.S. and Canada's Food Inspection Agency would also seem to make sense. If others are having the same problem, please post.

For a while now I have been experiencing a bitter taste in my mouth off and on and was not able to tie it to anything in particular. My family loves pesto and I make it often in the summer when fresh basil is available. After reading this post and others describing similar symptoms, I am convinced that it is the pine nuts causing the bitter taste. Last night we had pesto pasta for dinner and this morning the taste was the worst it has ever been and it is constant, where before it was short-lived. I have just finished making a whole batch of pesto and freezing it. I am going to try and not eat any for a few weeks though and see if the taste goes away. Will post another report in a couple of weeks. I am hopeful that this is actually the problem and not something more terrible. My understanding is that it is nothing serious. The thought is that the pine nuts coming from China are the culprits. I wonder if anyone knows why this would be and how do we know the difference. I have used different brands of pine nuts in the past.

I don't think that there's any pine nuts from China causing this. I think that your olive oil may have turned rancid, and I think that's what's causing the bitter taste. That's frequently a culprit. Did you know that olive oil could turn rancid?