I've had a bitter taste in my mouth for about 6months now, at first it was everynow and then and mild, then after a few weeks, it was there 24/7. I though something in my stomach was causing it but I couldn't single out any foods. It was always there, except for when I slept.
Nowadays, it has almost gone away completely after changing my diet radically from junk food 24/7 to no junk food.
What I am finding though is that whenever I need to go to the bathroom (number 2), the bitterness seems to be there, and then after the toilet, it starts to go away. I go to the bathroom usually every couple of days and that's when the bitterness happens, in sequence with the bathroom problem.
Can anyone shed some light on this? Could it be an intestinal problem?

Cheers

I reckon that you should pay a visit to a dentist and if they don’t find anything, then a GP.

As far as I know bitter taste can be caused by different mouth infections like gum infections or abscessed tooth. Also, teeth fillings may contain certain components that you may be sensitive to although their amounts are usually non-detectable.

If a dentist doesn’t find anything to be the matter, I would suggest you saw a GP to check for any underlying medical conditions. Often, medications would cause bitter taste in mouth but you didn’t report taking any regularly, so we may rule out that.

There is a neurological disorder that is quite rare and it causes feelings of abnormal tastes when there is nothing that could be causing it. It is called dysgeusia, so you may want to mention this to your doc.

I reckon that the only way to get rid of the problem is to find an underlying cause and no one except doctors can help you with it. Good luck!

Yes, thanx for replying but i have been to the dentist many times before and after it started and to over 10 gp's about it and nobody knows. They keep saying I'm psychosomatic which means c**p all to me!
I am seriously thinking it's my digestive system because it tends to go away when I empty my bowels....
Any suggestions on that?

I have exactly the same problem! Also digestive problems. I'm going to the doctor this afternoon - but as they weren't able to help you, I'd be surprised if they'd know what to do with my case.
Funny enough I am going to have a colonscopy in a few weeks time because of persistent bowel problems. So... could there be a link. I'd like to find out.

Good luck!

cool, they've suggested a colonoscopy but I'm too afraid of going under sedation unless it's a matter of life or death.
Please let me know what they say or find.

Cheers

If you are having a bitter taste in your mouth it could be "acid reflux" which is what I have. The acid in your stomach comes up to the throat and gives this bitter taste. I would suggest seeing a gastro doctor as I did. I am taking nexium every day and am fine. Except now I am experiencing "loss of taste" which I posted in the forum. Can't figure out what that is. Good Luck... Also try chewing sugerless gum it helped me.

Hi, thanx for answering guys.....but why then would doctors say its got nothing to do with my stomach whatsoever, even whenI ask them?????

I have bitter taster also. I can't eat most of the food because they all taster bitter, even water. I vomit every morning, I saw some yellow liquid coming out, it tastes extremely. So I believe that is the same thing as what I feel during the day.

I also developed bitterness in my mouth that would not go away. Went to the chiropractor....sluggish gallbladder. Told me to eat beets and given a pill form of beets to take. Bitterness went away within 1-2 days. Still having nausea though after eating and through the day....don't know if b/c pregnant or gallbladder. Haven't finished the treatment yet though.

Hi Orion,

Constipation can give you bad breath. If the bowel gets constipated or infected toxins can build up in the bloodstream, perhaps if this is ongoing it results not only in bad breath but also bad taste in mouth. This also explains why once you have evacuated the bowel the taste goes away,

Hope this helps,

Giansbourg