Yellowing of the eyes is a symptom of a number of diseases that will need a further medical investigation to make sure everything is fine. It is referred to as jaundice. There are a number of conditions that can be possible but I will only cover the most common types of conditions that you need to watch out for.
- Liver disease is the first thing that doctors will need to rule out because of yellowing eyes. Bilirubin is a natural product that we normally are producing constantly as our red blood cells are damaged, destroyed and recreated. Bilirubin levels are normally within physiological limits and excreted through your urine and stools but if you have any type of bleeding disorder that alters this balance, bilirubin levels will increase. This is especially true when you have diseases in the liver like hepatitis or cirrhosis. In these cases, it is very likely that patients will also have a yellowing of their skin. Go to the doctor and get your ALT and AST levels checked in a blood test and ask if hepatitis is a likely infection in your case.
- Another type of infection that could cause this would be mononucleosis. This is a common infection seen in younger patients and is typically transferred when saliva is transferred. This can be from kissing or drinking from the same containers. You will have a history of chronic fatigue, a fever and a sore throat that will likely be accompanied by your yellow eyes. A Monospot test checking for the EBV virus is the quickest way to make a diagnosis of whether you have this disease or not.
- Gallstones are also another possibility that could cause the yellowing of your eyes. This is a pathology that occurs when a patient eats too much fatty food and as a result, the cholesterol is turned into stones in your gallbladder. Women are at the highest risk of this condition and will generally be in their 40s, overweight and have children. Having this disease will also present with abdominal pain that worsens when you eat a fatty meal and constant nausea and vomiting is also a potential symptom.
- Pancreatitis is another condition that can lead to yellowing eyes. Although there are several potential causes of pancreatitis, the most common of them would be excessive alcohol ingestion. Even one night of intensive binge drinking can result in disease. You will have severe abdominal pain with this condition and the only way to feel better is to avoid drinking alcohol or eating food for a few weeks. As you could imagine, you will need to be hospitalized in order to have an IV line to give you nutrients to help you survive.
- The last possibility that we need to examine for would be some type of cancer. Although it is a rare possibility, some cancers like liver or pancreatic cancer may only present after patients have symptoms of jaundice. It is hard to check these organs due to their positioning in the abdomen so it is hard for doctors to diagnose it sooner. 
Still have something to ask?
Get help from other members!