Hi, a friend of mine is suffering from macular degeneration. I don't know anything about this illness, except that it is destroying my friend's vision. Recently she told me that she has started a treatment that will prevent the abnormal growth of blood vessels that are the main cause of her condition. I had no idea that the blood vessels can grow in our body even when we stop developing. Is there some other cause for the blood vessels growth besides the macular degeneration?

Hi, you are wrong to think that once we stop growing our body begins to deteriorate. In fact, our cells are constantly being rebuilt. For instance, what do you think would happen if the cells that make the lining of our intestine die and others are not formed? We would die very young. The same goes for the blood vessels. Some parts of them are constantly changing. However, there are cases, like your friend's that consider the formation of totally new blood vessels. Besides macular degeneration, tumors can cause the growth of new blood vessels that these dangerous cells need to survive. Growth of blood vessels is not always connected with illnesses. Exercise and pregnancy also cause the growth of blood vessels needed for the nourishment of new tissues. There are three mechanisms that explain the blood vessels growth. Basically, all three are under control of certain hormones. I hope that the treatment your friend is undergoing will help her to save some of her vision.