My wife is in the hospital. Yesterday morning she had suddenly lost her vision. At the beginning everything was blurred but then she could not see a thing. I had to take her to a doctor immediately. As I have understood it have something to do with a blood vessel blockage. What could have happened and can she lose her vision permanently?

My father has the same symptoms. It is probably caused by a blood cloth floating in the bloodstream that has blocked the blood vessel. If the central retinal artery is blocked it can lead to sudden vision loss. It can cause swelling of that blood vessel and it can grow to abnormal size. The doctor probably gave her a massage of the eye by hands to lower the pressure in the eye. I must tell you that, unfortunately, the therapy rarely can help to restore vision. Drugs are not used in treatment of this and laser therapy can help to destroy abnormal blood vessel.