Hi, I am a forty years old woman. I have high blood pressure. Ever since I saw a doctor, I was doing exactly what he has told me. All my medicine and nutrition are compatible with the doctor's orders. Few days ago, there was a TV show about high blood pressure. One of the guests said that it can cause blood vessel rupture. This information disturbed me a lot. What can you tell me about blood vessel rupture?

Hi, blood vessel rupture is also known as aneurysm. This condition actually is a non specific enlargement of the artery. It is caused by the damage made on the wall of the blood vessel, or by weakness of the same wall. Aneurysm may occur in any blood vessel, but usually arteries are affected mostly in the abdomen or the brain. There are several more types of aneurysm, and they all can be life threatening especially the two mentioned. The causes of blood vessel rupture are high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries, some diseases like diabetes, syphilis, genetic, injuries and congenital defects. Since you have problems with high blood pressure, it would not be such a bad idea to visit your doctor and tell him about your concerns. He will do some tests, like basic physical test or X-ray, since the methods of diagnosing aneurysm vary from its type. If the enlargement of the blood vessel is not significant, drugs that lower the blood pressure are prescribed. If this is not the case, surgery is the only option.