Good day everyone.

My best friend from high school called me today. She has two kids. One of them had some really bad health issues a couple of years ago, but now she is fine. But now, her second kid Andee, he is 11 years old, has some health issues as well. She was is huge panic when I called her, but I am pretty sure that I could hear her saying that he needs to have a surgery for coarcation of aorta.

Do you know anything about this? How dangerous and complicated it can be?

Is this really that dangerous?

Please, let me know as much as you can tell me.

Hello there.

God, what is going on with kids lately? This is the third case I have heard that is having problems with heart and aorta. That is really sad. Coarction of the aorta is a narrowing of the main blood vessel carrying oxygen – rich blood from left ventricle of the heart to the all organs in your body. It occurs most commonly in short segment of the aorta just beyond where the arteries to the head and arms take off.

My friend’s son had surgery when he was 9 years old, and 10 days after they let him to go home. It was not that complicated surgery, it was OK and he was feeling fine after it.

Hey there.

I believe that this is not that hard surgery because doctors done a lot of them lately. A little boy from my neighborhood had this problem and they scheduled a surgery for him very soon. The surgery was OK, it was fine and he was out of the hospital in 11 or 13 days, I am not sure.

His recovery process was good since doctors have a lot of therapies for this issue.

But I would recommend you to find some good doctor to tell you more about this in case of some complications. And I really hope that there won’t be any of them.

Good luck.  

Hey.

Aurora, I don't know what to tell you. I am also very worried because a lot of people lately have problems with their kids and their heart issues. I don't know what is going on. My wife is trying to have a baby despite her heart problems and I hope that one day, if I get it, he or she won't have those problems. 

I was talking with my friend today and he told me that his kid is in hospital now, he is waiting for the surgery. Some lady told him that this surgery is very complicated and that they need to be prepared to anything. 

What that means? 

Hey Eric,

They need to treat this as soon as possible because if it is left untreated, it almost always causes complications. Several of the complications may result in long standing high blood pressure caused by the aortic coarctation. Complications are as well possible after the treatment for coarctation of aorta.

These complications include high blood pressure, stroke, enlargement in a section of the wall of the aorta, aortic rupture or tear, premature coronary artery disease, heart failure and a weakened or bulging artery in the brain or bleeding in the brain.

As you can see, this condition can be really dangerous so it would be best to treat it as soon as possible.

Hello everyone,

Yes, he needs to start treating this as soon as possible. There are a few ways for treating this including different kind of surgeries and a balloon angioplasty and stenting. I would probably choose angioplasty if I were you, but surgeries are a good option as well.

There are four different kind of surgeries available for you to choose from when it comes to treating coarctation of aorta, these are resection with end to end anastomosis, subclavian flap aortoplasty, bypass graft repair and patch aortoplasty. 

All of these surgeries have a fine rate of success, but like I said, I would go for balloon angioplasty. 

Hi everyone,

Medications aren't used at all for treating this matter but sometimes drugs for controlling high blood pressure before the surgery are used.

The most common long term complication of coarctation of the aorta is high blood pressure. Although a person's high blood pressure usually falls after the aortic coarctation has been repaired, it might still remain higher than normal. Occasionally, the segment of the aorta that has been repaired will become weak and enlarge and might eventually rupture. In come cases, the coarctation may recur, possibly even years after treatment. It's possible to have additional surgeries or procedures to correct the re-narrowing or treat other complications.