My 70yr old father was rushed to the ER last week with gall bladder issues. During his test (scan) it showed he has a fatty liver and a 3.5mm stomach anurysom (sp?).
Can anyone tell me what this means and if there is any need to be worried about this?
Thanks in advance.

The fatty liver is the least of your Dad's worries. For the record, fatty liver is just what its name suggests: the build-up of fat in the liver cells. Although this is not a normal condition, fat in the liver usually causes no damage by itself. However, on some occasions it can be a sign that other more harmful conditions are at work. Fatty liver may be associated with or may lead to inflammation of the liver. This can cause scarring and hardening of the liver. When scarring becomes extensive, it is called cirrhosis, and this is a very serious condition.

The stomach aneurysm is another matter all together. The main blood vessel in the body is the aorta. It carries blood from the heart to the rest of the body. It is a long blood vessel that reaches from the chest into the abdomen. The part of the aorta in the abdomen is called the abdominal aorta. It supplies blood to the stomach, pelvis and legs.

An aneurysm is a weak area in a blood vessel. If a blood vessel weakens, it starts to swell like a balloon and becomes abnormally large. If the aneurysm grows too large, the aorta may tear or burst.

If the aneurysm is large or is growing quickly, surgery will most certainly be performed. If the aneurysm is small, the doctor may just monitor it using ultrasound tests.

Geeze...

Thank you for all of your helpful feedback. I appreciatte it very much.

Ps...the fatty liver could be due to cornary atery disease? Unfortunately my father has has heart bi-pass, stented bi-pass arteries and both kidneys stented too.
The poor man is a mess...but he keeps fighting (as do we). He still has too much work left on this earth to do.

Thanks again!
Karen.

ksf,
Yes, the fatty liver is most certainly related th the coronary artery disease. I too have had a coronary artery bypass (quadruple) so I can feel his pain.

As you said, he obviously still has things to do on this earth, and I hope he completes his tasks in due time. God works the way he works; it's not for use to understand why, just to do it.

Good luck to your father. I'll be pulling for him. :-)