I had surgery for my hemmroids 4 days ago and still have not had a bowel movement. I am taking pain killers along with a stool softner but still no bm is this normal? How long should I wait to have a bm before i get worried. my doctor said not to get constipated but how do i prevent that from happening?

It's normal for you not to move your bowels after any procedure. Make sure you drink plenty of water and eat a lot of roughage, i.e. salads, veggies and try some bran. If you don't like straight up bran like bran flakes or a cereal called All Bran, try some muffins, also raisin bran is really good...with sugar on it. The dr. is correct, don't let your self get constipated. Try some milk of magnesia to, a tablespoon or 2 will help you. Milk of mag is given in the hospital after a baby is delivered to help mom move herself. Don't try any harsh laxatives like ex lax or dulcolax.