Hi there,

I had the surgery done on sunday morning..today is 5th day it is really painful trust me. No matter how soft the stool is it pain like hell. Yeah the slitz bath do help. I add some salt and sit in it for 5 mins after each stool.  When doctor said it should be removed i said yes cause it was painful before as well, but now it is hell. It still bleed and when it is dry it is worst. Please advice what can be done to ease the pain and how many more days to tolerate the pain.

Thanks

Hi there, Angel.

I am a 42 year old woman, I had my op last Monday so I am day 11.  I am still struggling through, but I hope I can give you a heads up on what to expect and how to help yourself, based on my own experience and what I have learnt over the last 11 days.

It does get easier, but please be aware that this is the most painful of the 'routine' surgeries that happen every day all over the world, and the initial stages of recovery take a good 2 or 3 weeks, depending on your own personal circumstances.  Many posts (like ours) have provided me with useful information, and I have come to the conclusion that educating yourself about this op and the recovery is essential, because the doctors don't really tell you much.  

I am a natural worrier and IBS has plagued me all my adult life.  My cause of hems in the first place is due to constipation, straining, with the odd bout of diarrhoea in between. I have become reliant on laxatives and I realise now that my healthy diet was not anywhere near as healthy as it needs to be to get my bowels and poohs right.  

To complicate matters, I have a small rectocele that pushes out and stops me from emptying my bowel fully.  Right now, I feel the pressure to go, but as it stands today, I haven't been yet, and I am not looking forward to my next B.M!  I can do normal things around the house and I even went to the shop this morning, but I know once I have been for a B.M. that will all change, it takes me a few hours to recover from the pain and discomfort.

I have some advice for you although what works for one person doesn't always help another person....

1. Exclude foods that are known for causing constipation, gas and bloating. The culprits tend to be refined carbohydrates, red meat, cheeses and dairy products.  The net is wonderful for getting this info.  Make sure you drink at least 2 litres of clear fluids a day, water is best, avoid tea and coffee (although some people find a cup of tea or coffee first thing helps get things moving).  I always start the day with a cup of tea with a little milk and sugar, but that is the only one I have. Herbal and fruit teas are good, and see if you can find a mix that included licorice, ginger and fennel, all known for being excellent for the digestive system.  Licorice, good quality, is a mild and natural laxative.   ALSO - be careful of painkillers. Some will constipate you. Paracetamol is safe and you could also ask your Doctor for some lidocaine which is an anaesthetic gel that you can apply to your anus before you attempt to go.  Be very careful with BRAN.  it does not always help, in fact it can cause constipation because it needs lots and lots of water to work through your system.  I have read that some people have become terribly constipated from the use of bran.  You need soft, easy to pass stools.

2. Work hard on your diet. Include plenty of vegetables, fruit, fish, dried fruit, seeds. Eat natural yoghurt because it has those healthy bacteria in it and it helps to re-populate your gut 'flora'. This can be disturbed by the use of laxatives and I'm guessing you probably had an enema before surgery.  The gut flora, when upset, can cause problems, in my case I lost my appetite and experienced stomach pains after every meal.  It was as if my digestive system couldn't handle the food.  I suffered with a bit of diarrhoea twice since my op, and it's just as much of a worry as being constipated because in order for the rectum to heal nicely, the stools need to be soft, yet have shape and 'bulk'.  Too soft is bad, too hard is bad!  

3. Have a regular routine. Get up at the same time in the morning and have a cup of tea or hot water with lemon to wake up your digestive system.  This helps to wake up the bowels and gets the natural movement going.  Eat breakfast soon after, and give it 20 minutes after eating before you attempt to go on the loo. I have not been 'regular' - ever.  I need to re-train myself to be regular, and I have read that it is possible to do but it takes motivation and time, something all of us recovering from this surgery have at the moment!

4. Have a look at some information, regarding how to sit on the toilet correctly.  The modern toilet is actually very bad for good evacuation of the bowel because of the angle that your rectum is put in.  When you squat on the toilet (the use of a suitable stool helps and there are products out there but I probably can't name it on here) your bowel can empty without straining.  

5. Have a wee before you try to have a B.M.  I found it stings like hell otherwise! And of course continue to bathe afterwards, I like to sit on the edge of my bath and use the showerhead to pour warm water on myself.  

6. I found no clear proof that the salt actually makes any difference but I doubt it will do you any harm so if you want to carry on with it then go ahead! Perhaps giving yourself a good 'airing' through the day might make things feel more comfortable? (make sure you are on your own!)

7. Ensure you continue with your recommended stool softners/laxatives.  You may find you can come off them after the first week is out of the way, but it's trial and error. I have found that I still need to use Movicol, a type of osmosis based laxative.  It suits me better than others because it doesn't give me stomach pains, seems more gentle.  

I hope this helps and good luck, take each day as it comes. If you have any more questions I will be happy to try and answer them!

Amanda