The day I got home from surgery (yesterday) I started eating without any problems... (bland diet of course... graham crackers, granola bars, oatmeal, bananas, apple juice and LOTS AND LOTS of water) but I haven't had to go poop at all since the surgery... I know its only day two but I was wondering where it all goes if it doesn't come out! I haven't passed the food that I ate the day before the surgery either... and I know this is gross but I want to share it out of curiosity... I sort of stuck my finger in there a little to see if anything was ready to come out.. there were a couple soft peices but mostly empty.. when i looked at it it was BRIGHT BRIGHT GREEN... like the color of this page. Is that normal? I have been drinking laxatives.. but nothing has happnened. Any advice?

The kinds of food that you ate after surgery are all low-residue foods, consisting of mostly carbohydrates which are readily digested into glucose and absorbed into your body. If you had fasted prior to your surgery, it will take a few days for whatever leftover from the foods that you have eaten to pass out as poops. You are doing just fine.

I just had my gallbladder removed a week ago and I only recently had a bowel movement. Whatever pain medication that you took slows down your bowels and often causes constipation. Once you've gone off the pain medication for a couple days your body will regulate again. Till then it remains inside and can cause bloating.

I had gall bladder surgery about a day and a half ago. Tomorrow will be day three that I have not had a bowl movement. I have taken two stool softeners.
After my last bowl movement which was the day before surgery, I have eaten a burrito tortilla chips & salsa, mexican rice, refried beans, a 12 inch subway sandwich,pudding,jell-o,cheeze its, ice cream, then after surgery I have had raisin bran, oatmeal and honey, mashed potatoes and chicken broth, pudding, jell-o, ice cream sandwich,two turkey burgers,tater tots,cheeze-its,crackers. I'm still waiting to have a bowl movement. I am on pain medication but have done so for a back and ankle injury for about 5 years, so I know that that sometimes will constipate you but I am getting pretty bloated and am wondering if I should take a laxative,or would that upset something internal with the surgery?

after my gall bladder surgery I was released from the hospital without having passed gas or having a bowel movement. After an extremely painful night of vomiting I was readmitted. Given barium thru a stomach tube and a second cat scan a kink was shown that the doctors thought was a stitch in my intestine. In surgery it was found that the intestine had herniated thru the laprosopic incision and kinked up like a garden hose.Total 10 day hospital stay.
Should I have been released from the hospital the 1st time without having either passed gas or having a bowel movement?

Well the laprescopic procedure is an outpatient surgery, I can't imagine that they would expect all patients to have a BM before they could be discharged. I think I was out of there 3 hours after my surgery. I had mine out 5 days ago. This is day 7 without having a bowel movement, but I have been eating pretty lightly, and have been taking my share of pain meds!! I have been taking 1-2 stool softeners per day, yet nothing!

I had my tonsils removed the 30th. Havent had a bowel movement since the day before my procedure. This is day 9.
Tried 2x enemas, mirelax, colace, prune juice, apple juice, water, and went to the ER where they administered a drug relastor that is used specifically for people who were on Lortab/Hydrocodone which causes problems having a bowel movement. Now it is the next morning and still nothing.. dont even fel the need to go. Doctor said to follow up with my doctor monday morning... well he also said i had roughly 10lbs of food in my intestines. Ha.. hoping my colon doesnt burst.. toxic... seems they take this too lightly. I dont want to wind up with a colostomy bag. Any insight? thoughts? I was thinking surgery.

I had my Gallbladder surgery on 1-29-10 I can't have a bowl movement,passing gas a little not much, im in pain. I took a fleet last night and only got a little out. Im taking gas pills and mirlax trying to get something to move. I only take one pain pill a day. Im not eating to much due to im scared of what to eat. I want to eat but scared causse nothing is coming back out. called the Dr. and they seem not worried about it. Can anyone give me any suggestions Please. :-(

I had my surgery 4 days ago. It was a day surgery, I was released after I was able to urinate. Today, after 3 days of liquids, I went on low fat foods. As soon as I ate, I had to go. I have been in the house since the surgery and my husband took me down the street to Luby's cafeteria. Well, like I said, as soon as I ate, I had to go. I barely made it to the restroom. When I got home I had another BM. It was very painful. I wasn't quite ready for that feeling. I feel a little better right now, but a little afraid to eat again. I will keep you all posted as the days go by.

Hi I am back... I am the Guest who wrote about visiting luby's and the "low fat" food going RIGHT through me... Well today is day 7 since my having my Gallbladder removed. Things have gotten better since Day 4. After the episode at Luby's Cafeteria, I went back to soups. Yesterday, Day 6, I tried eating a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo and no lettuce. I was able to eat it with no problems. That night, I ate another one. For lunch today, I was able to eat baked chicken cooked in a couple of TBL spoons Grapeseed Oil, and steamed green beans and rice. No diarrhea... No stomach aches.... I just ate about 10 of my kids French Fries for McDonalds (I couldn't resist). I ate a small piece of Pound Cheese cake. Everything is good considering that on Day 4 I feared I would never eat regular food again.

I called the Doc yesterday to ask for a list of low fat foods I can eat ? , they said they didn't have a list, but to look online and see if I can find something. I told them that the folks online is just as lost as I am about what to eat after a gall bladder surgery.... I also told them that it is VERY depressing reading all the stories about People not being able to eat :'( ! So I decided to document on this blog (which I've never done before) to suggest to everyone that you should start off eating light meals after about 3 or 4 days. Then try different foods to see how your body will react. If you get sick, don't let that scare you, just wait a couple of more days and try again. Your body will let you know when it's ready to go back to your normal diet. I am going to try to eat my normal foods, but just cook them a little differently. I will watch the fat intake, like Mayo and saturated fats and ease up on the seasons and spices.

Now as far as the BM. Day 4 was the 1st and only day I had a BM. I meantioned it was painful before. I must explained what I meant by painful. This my be too explict for some... As soon as I ate my meal, my stomach started feeling weird :$ and then started to cramp. I had explosive diarrhea and hard solid bowel at the same time! o.O My stomach was contracting as all of this was going on, so the four incisions and stitching were hurting. It lasted for 5 minutes straight. When I got home from the restaurant it happened again for about 3 minutes. I have not had a BM since then. This is not unusual for me. Before my surgery, it could go a week or two without a BM. I am not too alarmed about that. Sorry for being so graphic, but I was looking for information and couldn't find much helpful info. Maybe this can help someone who is going through something similar. Just remember that EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT. Just take it one day at a time.

I go to the doc in 6 days for a follow up. I will let you know how it goes. If anything changes I will post more. God Bless. ;-)

I was searching for help on this same topic! The only difference is that I have not had my gallbladder removed yet. I will be scheduled by September 2010 to have it done. I constantly have problems going to the bathroom. I have been 5-7 days without going and in the event I cant go I have to have help by taking a Fleet x2 in addition some type of laxitive. I was so bloated at work and couldnt relieve myself I ended up throwing up in the bathroom from being so over bloated and constipated. My food had no where to go I guess. I eat very well in fact very well! I just don't understand how Dr. 's are not concerned the only advice my Dr. gave me was to take one Teaspoon of Milk of Mag in the morning. When I do this I have a small bowel movement almost to nothing and its very hard almost like Rabbit droppings. This can not be normal and I want to know if anyone who is needing galbladder surgery is having these same symptoms?

I had my surgery on the 5th of May and I have had a few tiny tiny BM I like the other person who posted on here early have ate a ton of food and I feel like it still in there and the only way so far I can have a BM is by laxitives suppositiors or overnite laxitive which also is botherson. I have been drinking a lot of water and taking only tylenol for my pain and havent took that in a couple days..so any advice out there I am willing to hear it...

I had gallbladder surgery on June 4. I had the one day surgery and was released the same day after urinating and eating a meal consisting of jello, broth and a popsicle. I never received any information on what foods to eat other to stay on a soft diet for a couple of days and then start adding solids.

I didn't go to the bathroom for 5 days. My stomach bloated so badly and really caused me pain. I also had a drain bag inserted and that caused me the most pain. I was taking Loratabs for the pain and a neighbor told me they constipate and to quit taking them if I could.

I switch to OTC Alleve and also took too correctols. I had a very hard and painful bowel movement the next morning and I have been having regular daily bowel movements since then. I try to eat yogurt every day and that seems to help.

It's been two weeks since my surgery and I have had to diarrhea incidents. Both involved eating fatty meat, one time a hamburger and the other time sirloin steak. I guess it is going to take awhile to eat those kinds of foods.

I am trying to lose weigth so I am limiting those types of foods. I haven't drank any milk yet and since I usually have bad reactions to milk, I am waiting awhile for that. I might try the lactose free milk first.

I think its terrible they do surgery on you and send you home the same day with little instruction or insight on what to expect. Heck, my doctor left for vacation the same day he did my surgery and I couldn't get any answers unless I wanted to go to the emergency room. I let him have it on my two week follow up. I was very angry at him and probably will not use him for any future problems.

The gas and bloating are the worst symptoms of all after surgery and GasX does help with that problem. As I have been watching what I eat and have lost 10 pounds in two weeks, the bloating and gas are not near the problem they were. Reduced fat intake is the key to reducing the bloat and don't eat late in the evening if you would like to sleep peacfully.

Greetings,

After having my gallbladder removed last September it took me about 4 days before I had a successful bowel movement. I had eaten mostly only soft foods, low in fat, such as soups and sandwiches, no cheese or milk or anything greasy at all. That said, I did also experience a bit of pain from bloating/swelling towards the end of that period. Personally, since the gallbladder itself was removed, I didn't really trust my body to digest everything appropriately for a few days anyway. I'm sure that's not true, but it feels like that.

Now the important bit, the one thing that has barely been touched on in this post, except for a bit line up near the top, is stop taking your pain meds already:!: I know, they feel good, they take the pain away. They also actively prevent most people from having a bowel movement when used on a daily basis due to constipation (even just one pill a day can cause this to happen).

Knowing this, I tried to take as few as I could. Which was not so easy, as (for me, and probably you too) the second and third nights after surgery were the hardest to get through. The pain from the surgery is not going to be as bad as the pain from not having a bowel movement for a long period of time. So, in summation, I know you're in pain, but try to take as little pain meds as you can until you have a bowel movement at least. Then you'll have an idea as to how badly they affect you, since each person will be different, and you can then continue taking the pills with the knowledge of how many you personally should actually be taking a day.

To the guy who, before surgery, could go one to two weeks without having a bowel movement, that is abnormal (even 4-5 days is fairly extreme if you are actually eating food) and is something you probably should've seen a doc about prior to surgery, I'm sorry to say. Hopefully your situation worked out for the best.

P.S. Drink more water too! That goes for everyone. Helps get things movin.