I am so desperate, my elder brother had a car accident and back there in the hospital he was immobilized for he has broken spine. He actually broken his lowest spine vertebra and I was explained he is not in such danger but having broken spine to me always sounds like something terrible. All I would like to hear is whether he still has chances of full recovery despite the broken spine diagnose.

You are probably afraid whether he would be able to walk again or not-it depends much on how seriously his broken spine condition is, you know the prognosis of broken spine are never perfect there are always less chances of full recovery but I must stress that if broken spine is about lowest spinal vertebra injury than the chances of the recovery are much bigger-it is for sure at least that his arms and upper torso are not affected and for the legs I am afraid it is still early to give some prognosis. You could talk this over with his doc or even better with his physical therapist for your brother is about to have a long rehabilitation which main part is physical therapy which may be of the most important help in broken spine situation recovery period.

but if it is a broken spine or a spinal vertabrae what are the chances of the person walking ever again and would physical therapy help

bendix wrote:

Breaking the lower spine isn't so badly so more than likely he should be able to walk. I'm 17 but I broke my spine at the age of 15 due to a horse riding accident. I broke T6 and T7 which is the worst area to break. Luckily, I was fine and managed to walk again after being paralyzed for a short while. However, he may suffer with spasms(shocks of pain and such) as well as numbness which is happening to me now and they don't understand why. My hospital was sh*t and didnt know how to treat me and i never received physio

I have a broken spine due to weak bones from pregnancy, I am in constant pain but I can still do normal things.