Hello! I am sad to say that my husband was diagnosed with a pyogenic spine infection; the doctor explained that this complicated medical term basically means that he has a continuous bacterial infection of his spine. The doctor also said that prognosis is not so good, and recommended that my husband undergoes surgery before there comes to profound neurological compromise. Is surgery for a pyogenic spine infection the best treatment possible, or is it too radical? Can’t infection be treated with antibiotics?

Hi! I know exactly how you feel. Doctors feel that surgeries are something normal since they do them every day, so they don’t stop and explain all the reason for and against them to the patients. My brother had the pyogenic spine infection or vertebral osteomyelitis and he had a surgery which was successful. However, I read a lot about how much success this kind of operation had in past before we agreed that he can take it. I found a study that shows that rapid surgical decompression can result in substantial improvement and that the use of spinal instrumentation in the presence of infection is safe and effective. The antibiotic use was also an option but my conclusion was that the surgery was the better option. You should try and get as much information before you decide what is better for your husband.

I agree that antibiotics are an option, but maybe it is too late for your husband to use that option. The doctor might have recommended the operation cause there had already been some damage to the spine and he needs to reconstruct it. Of course you should best discuss any options with your doctor and if you don’t trust his judgment you can ask for another opinion. But don’t let your opinion be formed by the influence of other people’s experience since every case is different and requires different management.

The word pyogenic spine infection is not usual. It is too broad and doesn't mean much. If a person has spinal meningitis a spinal tap can isolate the germ if it is bacterial. If it is in the bone, osteomyelitis, that is the name for the disease, not pyogenic spine infection. Usually, antibiotics are used first, for sure, and perhaps surgery is in the books, but I would be very, very unsure until I had more information. How did the infection get into the spine anyway. I find that spinal surgeons are very agressive (it is the only things they do?) and if things don't work out they don't work out.

Anyway, it sounds hokus to me and unless a physician cannot give you a very thorough talk about it, well, go someplace else, fast.

I was a general pactitioner for years and well, never had a case in 230,000 patient visits.

Yours, Norsk10