Hi, two months ago I fell off my bicycle. I still haven't figured out why I lost control over my bike. All I can remember about that day is the pain. My lower back was killing me. Fortunately, my friend was with me, so he called paramedics. In the hospital the doctors established that I had trauma to the spine. They suggested surgery to stabilize the spine and avoid further complications. I have to wait at least one more month until my spine fully recovers. All of my life I was physically active. Will I be able to continue with my normal life after this spinal trauma?

Hi, I am very sorry to hear that you had such serious accident. My sister had hurt her spine three years ago. It was winter, she slipped and fell on her back. The MRI scan showed that she had fractured vertebra in her lower back. Fortunately, she did not hurt her spinal cord. The doctors said that the best treatment would be to immobilize the fractured vertebra. After months of treatment that included countless visits to physical therapist and orthopedist my sister recovered. I will not say that it was a full recovery, because she still occasionally feels severe pain in her lower back. I would have to say, based on my sister's experience, that your life will definitely suffer some changes. Some kind of physical activity is necessary after the doctors evaluate that you don't need their help any more. Will you be able to continue with the bicycle riding you were used to before the accident, I can honestly not say. It all depends on the severity of your trauma and the results of the recovery treatment.