My daughter has been sick for 4 years, disabled for 3. She has had significant sinus infections, inflammation, mucosceles surgeries (5). After the first year when she had 2 sinus surgeries and 2 cases of C-dif, her stomach started hurting very badly and constantly.
After many consults with GI folks, endoscopy & colonoscopy x 2, a swallow camera endo/colonoscopy, they have not found anything that would cause her chronic abdominal pain.
She continues to get C-dif (2 more cases after a period of 2 years without antibiotics) quite easily. The last time she had it was when she was taking antibiotics in a nasal spray and taking lactobacillis (VSL #3) daily.
Her gut seems to work in fits and starts without any correlation to anything, she gets C-dif very easily and is in chronic pain. We have been everywhere (including Cedar-Sinai, UCLA and Mayo). Could she have a permanent case of C-dif that is exacerbated with the antibiotics but never completely resolved? Wouldn't that have shown up in the biopsies?
AT this point we are guessing that she has an unknown auto-immune disease that is attacking the mucosa membrane of sinus and gut. Any ideas?

First off i want to say i feel your pain and your daughter's (quite literally). It is so distressing to have these problems. I had a colonoscopy before they daignosed me with cdiff and my colon was so damaged and actively bleeding they thought I had a truly diseased colon. It took 3 months of meds to "clear up" the mess. I took vancomycin for a month, then had an allergic reaction with hives... took flagyl for another 2 months. I still had urgency/watery diarrhea the entire time. What helped was eating a very plain diet... rice, white breads, water, grape juice (no apple or other juices were allowed), plain pasta, plain meats... no sauces, gravies, dairy, whole wheat, beans, broccoli, cauliflower, brussell sprouts, french fries, fried foods in general. I could go on... just had to keep it very simple for several months.

You need to make sure that your daughter took and/or takes enough meds to really clear up the original cdiff infection it is notorious for reflourishing... so you have to make sure you get it all. I was tested and tested and tested and had a follow up colonoscopy after the tests were coming back clear. Eat yogurt (the only dairy that was allowed) or drink a Danactive once a day while on meds. We also had to be careful it didn't return. Good luck! Keep the faith and patience even though it is hard.

I recently had C. Diffcile for two mos. I landed in the hospital with malnutrition and dehydration, despite a careful intake of a lot of fluids, nutritious food and vitamins. The Flagel did not work and I was put on Vancocin with IV's and probiotics and cytoplam to slowdown the number of times I was having bowel movements(10 to 20 times/day). I was also taking acidolphus, lactase and yogurt.
My tests for C. Dif were finally negative on June 4th. Five days later a colonoscopy showed a healthy colon.
However I still have high painful gas, bloating, and abdominal pain. I can eat only small amounts of food at a time. Also I have intermittent days when I am extremely tired.
Will I always have these symptoms? Some postings have even indicated that C. Dif returned after 6 mos. How can I avoid this from happening again?

People with c diff need a fecal transplant. They will cure you, and you can even do it at home your self. Please look in to it.