My cousin has been diagnosed with Clostridium difficile infection and I would like to know how is this infection treated! Can anybody explain to me? Thank you in advance!

Patients are usually treated in hospitals even though most of them develop only mild illness which can be stopped with antibiotics, together with fluid replacement. But specific therapy must be given. There are 2 antibiotics that are used for treatment. They are metronidazole and vancomycin, both being taken by mouth. But this c-diff is contagious cos the bacteria can survive a long period in the environment and can be found on floors and around toilets, so these patients should be segregated to other rooms.

I have actually also had C-dif... I had it back in December 2005 and was treated on an antibiotic.. however it never cleared up by March 2006.. For me it never cause problems besides the fact I wasn't hungary much and my lower intestines were enlarged which caused some stomach pain.. If you know it's C-difficile then the doctor would get you antibiotics so from my experience it's nothing to worry about.. but I don't know what happens at a worse extent.