HI there I am 37 years old, and yes I have IBS. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago, but I have a good diet and healthy lifestyle that keeps in under control.
However, in March I got a severe sinus infection which put me on 3 different types of antibiotics to kill it. Now I have all of the above diarrhea, blood, pain, and severe pressure when I go to the bathroom. They have tested me for c-difficile and even gave me the antibiotics just in case. However, I am now on Day 17 and can't take much more, can't even go to work. Yet, on Day 14 and 15 I was feeling really good and thought the antibiotics were working had no bowel movements for 2 days then on Day 16 it all came out and with the most severe pain (nothing like my IBS cramps)....I have been to my dr. at least 5 times in 2 weeks, does anyone have any thoughts?

I am 22 and had the same symptoms You have mentioned. After a week in hospital I was initially diagnosed with Ulcerative Collitus (Similar but not a severe as crohns disease) 6 months later the hospital then decided I had suffered a bad case of compilabacter (Don't think I spelt that right) Which is a bacterial infection contracted most commonly through ill prepared chicken. I have to wait for the hospital to make up their minds now but with the symptoms u have described I would not rule either of them out.

Lizzy,
I had virtually the same experience, however I was not diagnosed with IBS (COlitis, in my case) previously. I started having sinus infections, treated with Anibiotics, now I've been dealing with bloody stools,....the whole nine of what you described in your initial posting. What have you found out since you posted? I'm am having little success with any of the meds prescribed and my Dr. wants to schedule a third endoscopy (3rd in only a 14 month span.) I'm considering getting some second and third opinions on what's going on with me, but I'm also actively researching info myself in the meantime. Hope to hear from you soon!

BTW, I'm 37, married and in general good health. I have had Psoriasis for about 22 yrs, but have had that under control for about the past 7-8 yrs.

I have the similar/same situation. Was diagnosed with Sinusitis and put on Steroids and a 21 day course of a wide spectrum anti biotic. Have been having diarrhea and blood in stools for a while. Will get an appt with the doc today.

Lizzy/Voxbox what was the final resolution in your cases?

i have exactly the same symptoms as well

i am 21 and had a bad sinus infection and was given amoxycillin to clear it, a week later i have all the above symptoms. i have an appt with the doctor soon - but let me know if any more info!

Yeah that sounds to me like a reaction to amoxycillin, so I hope that you are seeking out help as soon as possible. Obviously if you have a meeting with your doctor then you should be fine but it does seem that the drug is what is causing the problem, and that you simply have to stop treatment. I hope that this helps.

I hope to reach some of you from this post and gain some further input. I am a 36 y/o M and have been diagnoised with C-Diff. in the Emergency Room after complaining of loose stools and SEVERE pain while having a bowel movement. The pain that I have had with my experience during bowel movements has been off the charts painful and it is not in the stomach, rather it travels from my lower back and rectum, thru the testicles, down both legs to the bottom of my feet! The rectal pressure feels as though I need to pass something the size of a baseball and all I get is a table spoon amt. of loose stool. This seems to occur approx. 4-8 times a day. I have seen a GI Doctor (no colonoscopy yet), completed a round of Flagyl (better for a few days while taking Flagyl the back to square 1), now I am 7 days into a round of Vancomycin which seemed to be working until now. I have suddenly returned to square 1 again!!! I have also been taking Bentyl (anti-spasm) medication believed to help subside some of this unexplained pain mentioned above. I am at wit's end and as miserable as can be!

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THE PAIN IN THE GENETIALS AND LEGS AS I DESCRIBED ABOVE???????

Thoughts and ideas are welcome. Per M.D. Colonoscopy to be scheduled after current symptoms are under control.

Hi I have had all that and the pain you mentioned in your legs and genitals and feet, though I am female. I'm 25 and it started about 8 months ago. I've been to the doctor so many times and the hospital because it is so random but I know at least twice a month for at least a week at a time I will be suffering with those same symptoms. I've had bloody mucusy stool if you can even call it that. I've been bed ridden sometimes. I can't be at work because I sometimes can't control when it comes and it's so embarrassing. I've just barely had a scope done and the results were normal. They said change my diet and stop drinking milk, when I had no problems with milk before then, but I stopped drinking it anyway and still the same thing. I've had a CT scan where they discovered my colon was inflamed and swollen and that was during one of the more painful times I had the diarrhea. One doctor told me he thinks it may be stress related, but I've been under consistent and heavy amounts of stress in the past with no problems. I do have immense pressure when going to the bathroom and lots of pain that just shoots through my lower body and it really sucks. No one seems to understand that it's not an infection, it's not the flu, it's not my diet and I highly doubt it's just stress. I feel your pain; you're not alone. But that doesn't seem to fix our problem, does it? It's good knowing I'm not the only one but I wish somebody could validate my suffering and tell me what is causing it and fix it. I'm so frustrated.

I've had these symptoms. Everyone has C-diff. It is a common bacteria in our colons. However it is kept at bay by our good bacteria. When we take antibiotics, we reduce our good bacteria and it can lead to an overpopulation of c-diff. Taking a heavy course of antibiotics for a week or two will make you feel better but the c-diff comes roaring back...usually with a vengeance. The only thing I've found to fix it is a very, extremely bland diet of foods that are gentle to our stomachs. Baby food, if you will. DO NOT EAT OUT, until you're healthy again. Even easting out when healthy can trigger another attack with food contaminated with c-diff. C-diff is life threatening and is a common reason for death amongst older people and the immune compromised. C-diff is hard to kill. It is a spore so it will live on surfaces for a long time. So wash your hands religiously. BTW, don't take prilosec or any drug like it because it will cause a flare up of c-diff.

hi I am in the situation like you exept I don't have a good diet and nobody wi tel me what to eat the latest time I find at a store which I just started to take it' cold

Not sure if you can still be reached on this post... but now that a year has past, how is everything going? I have these same problems exactly!