My son has had bacterial infection for some time. First he was treated with Penicillin but it showed that this bacteria is penicillin resistant. Now he started with Gencomycin (Vancomycin), but I don’t see any changes. As infection is in gastrointestinal system doctor consider this antibiotic most effective. I would like to know more about Gencomycin and it’s mechanism of action. For what bacteria is it used for? I am very preoccupied mother, please help me.

Gencomycin (Vancomycin) is a parenteral glycopeptides antibiotic. It is occasionally administered orally to treat GI infections such as pseudomembranous colitis. Gencomycin exert its effect by binding to the precursor unit of bacterial cell walls, inhibiting their synthesis. That is the way it differs from penicillin. Vancomycin is particularly useful against penicillin- and methicillin-resistant staphylococcal infections and for treating gram-positive infections in penicillin-allergic patients. Gram-negative bacteria and mycobacteria are resistant to Gencomycin. The following organisms are generally considered susceptible to Gencomycin (Vancomycin) in vitro: Clostridium sp.; Bacillus subtilis, Lactobacciluss sp., Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis; Streptococcus agalactiae Clostridium difficile; Clostridium sp.;.. There are more.
If there is a right diagnose which one is your son case then you’ll be able to understand why he is treated with Gencomycin.