oh my.
It all makes sense to me.
I understand completely!
If you have had all the tests, the Dr's are telling you that there is nothing physical then try and believe this. i mean really believe it.
Tell yourself over and over it is stress, worries, trauma, etc.
i know, this is what i am going through, different set of life traumas but it is all the same, it is hard to go through these things that happen in life.

The dr's wanted to put me on anti anxiety drugs as well, I tried zolof (sp) and I broke out in hives on the 5th day after taking it, too bad because I think I was actually ok with the drug and was starting to feel calmer and it was very low dose. This was also prescribed to help me with menopause.

I do not know how old you are but menopause (hormones) can be a factor in how we are functioning both physically and mentally, I strongly suggest you find someone to talk with, I went for the first time last week and am going again this week.

Are you having panic attacks? Sometimes everything gets so bottled up inside that it will manifest someway, somehow and this can be one of them.

Honestly, I have had a chest CT scan, x ray, ultrasounds, blood work, etc. I am realizing I am wasting my time with this breathing issue, it has been exhausting. I am now believing what my dr's say. But I needed the reassurance, I have to believe everything is ok.
which is helping. Also, I am taking ativan once or twice a day, just a half of a tablet, it is very low dose but it just is helping me relax and i am finally getting some decent sleep. if you can break the habit by facing some fears, traumatic events, deal with hormones if needed you will start to lift from this crazy cycle you are in.

Talking to the right person is so important, ask your dr for a recommendation, I mean it, it cannot hurt and I needed to really dump on someone, I too have children around the same age and i want to enjoy life with them, not on the sideline.

i think we hyper ventilate, breath wrong, get everything screwed up. i am trying deep breathing, it is starting to help.
and live in the moment, when things start to get bad, look around really see things, do something you like to do. you will be surprised....all of a sudden you are taking charge of your life again.
Take care, I really feel for you and truly understand what you are going through.

Ok, after reading all the posts, I feel better, i can relax and breathe better. I (we) are not alone.
The root cause is not physical. i have had some really bad panic attacks, they are awful and i simply cannot have them, I must address what is going on, seeing a counselor and the ativan for now is truly helping. maybe I will go on a zolof type drug in a couple of months...
after I deal with some things head on.

Folks, most of you mention a lot of stress in your lives. Not unlike me. Also, how is your diet? High in sugar, caffeine, alcohol, or fast carbs? Because add to a lot of stress a couple of cups of coffee a day, a drink, a few cokes, a donut or two, even rice and gravy or potatoes with no high veggie balance, and you've got a recipe for adrenal fatigue/exhaustion. Did you know that your adrenals are the "master gland" that controls all the other hormones? I have had shortness of breath for over a month now, been to the emerg. room, 3 days in hospital, all tests ruling out other things, and I'm normal. But wait....I'm not! I have s.o.b.! I have insomnia, fatigue, cold feet and hands, hypoglycemia symptoms....like having to eat every few hours, or bottoming out. I'm betting for most of you, it's adrenal issues. Very, very common in today's society with high stress, low nutrient value in the foods we eat....even the vegetables have pesticides and c**p all over them. Dr. Michael Lam explains the s.o.b as a symptom of the adrenals down-regulating the body and all of it's systems when under stress or after "crashing." Of course it's "anxiety!" We are all anxious having s.o.b. symptoms! Who would not be??? Are you tired all of time, but feel wired at the same time? Fight/flight syndrome! I have to take Xanax to sleep, when a month ago, I was sleeping like a baby every night. The adrenals can cause the thyroid to show up sluggish, and all other hormones to be low or out of whack. Dr. Lam has a library of articles on this. There are various stages of adrenal fatigue. I know I felt bad before I got the s.o.b. symptoms. Really not able to handle stress well, a little depressed, having to load up on coffee or chocolate to get through the day. Go to this website and read: Click on adrenals on the left and see what you think. There are many good books and articles written on this subject. When I was in my twenties, I had a high stress job, and a situation came up that caused my stomach to go into panic for a couple of months. The panic that turns your tummy over and over all the time. (Unresolved conflict). One day, I was drinking a coke and eating a candy bar, and wham....the s.o.b. hit me. I panicked! I went to all kinds of doctors, and noone knew what was wrong. Tried to give me Sinequan. I got over it by eating a good diet, taking supplements, resting, and getting the stress/conflict resolved. It took some time, because back then, I didn't know any better, and would eat "sugar free" stuff and drink diet caffeine free coke. None of this is good for you either. I have found a female doctor in my area who is big on treating the adrenals, thyroid, and other hormones. She uses as much natural as possible, but she is an M.D. and can prescribe. I can't get in until May 10th. Healing this issue takes time and patience. You probably abused your glands for years with stress, bad diets, etc. Now try loving them for a while with nutrients, rest, and helpful supplements. The good news is this: It is real. It is a condition, not just mystery anxiety. It can be healed or improved greatly with time if you are patient. Hope this helps SOMEBODY. Please post and let me know if you think this might be you! Blessings to you all, and my prayers are with US as we go forward and heal!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

hi, I've been having the same experience, chronic shortness of breath, I know I have an anxiety disorder but I also have GERD. So, sometimes I wonder if it's anxiety or my GERD. Wish I could just get back to normal.

I really feel for you, what a sad thing to happen to you!

I hope you manage to meet some new people and start to enjoy your life a little more.

I have the same shortness of breath, lightheadedness, brain fog issues as most of the above posters, i too (unfortunately) have no answer for it. I have had a gazillion tests, all normal.

It makes life hard to deal with, especially work and stressful situations.

I was a heavy drinker till recently, when I gave it up in an attempt to finally rid myself of these symptoms. I found I was in an endless cycle of drinking to remove the anxiety only to have it double up on me when I woke.

Alcohol seemed to be the only escape I had from the anxiety, well see how I go sober.

If still no fix I think it may be time to get on the zanax.

I have read all of the postings and GOD..... maybe I am not crazy after all. I went to the hospital last night after work because for about a week I have not been able to get the deep cleansing breaths. My mind has been racing and thinking of the worst... sometimes its not good to research the internet until after getting the facts from your docotr. I had myself in the grave with c.o.p.d without a diagnosis. I checked my lungs and saturation levels and they seem to be ok. I took a few "hot Yoga" classes and that seemed to spark an asmathmatic episode and from there ... my mind took over. the hospital looked at my films and listened to my lungs and said everything looks good and that I am experiencing anxiety! All I am thinking is.... but I can't breath... that cannot be right could it?? Xanax does east the vice grip feeling on the chest during sever anxiety but I do need to look into the long term. Anxiety can be really horrible as I am comming to learn.

I have been short on breath for 2 or 3 years.  If I take a valium or a xanax it will go away..  but I dont take pills evey day, not even every week, since I used to be on them for years due to anxiety and I had terrible withdrawal and dependancy issues.  These are some really dangerous pills folks..  I hate the shorntess of breath, but I will only take the pills if it becomes unbearable. Sometimes I find the pills make the symptoms worse in the long run .. its like a rebond effect..

i have been a gad sufferer for years and still go through daily struggles of shortness of breath ,fatigue, and bouts of depression and panic attacks and antidepressant medications such as paxil, zoloft, prozak etc. are great ways to start taking back control of your life and mind but they do have their downfalls and its good to have some xanax or valium on hand just in case you have some onset symptoms as none of these drugs are perfect overall i have learned over the years none of these drugs are going to cure the disorder just help you cope with the symptoms i have learned the only true way to cure it is to take control of your mind (mind over matter) try to to live a healthy life and cut out as much stress as one can without becoming a hermit! i sympathize with all who deal with these daily struggles and hope you all one day find peace of mind! god bless all!

A few suggestions esp. towards shortness of breath/fatigue, etc.

1. When it occurs (esp. in lying down or seating position), walk for 5-10min. (in fresh-air w'ld benefit)

2. Take 5min. deep breath (keep a mental count of 5sec inhale 5sec exhale deep and full )
some measure could be tried as preventive and see if these help-

1. Esp. to avoid during night time, keep min. 2hrs gap between dinner and sleeping time

2. avoid alcohol, smoke during/post dinner, keep dinner lighter than usual demand, choose lighter items esp. low-carb, no meat, to compensage have hot cup of milk 30min. before sleep

3. include 30min. walk in your routine esp. in eve

This is really a crappy to live with such anxiety. I am facing it with the increased heart beat and shortness of breath. 

Guest wrote:

Hello everyone:

I just want to share my exp with you. I had alots of emotionnsl stresses and bad eating habbit :( I had a started shortness of breath and chest pain which I did not expected to have heart deasese in my 35 years but unfortunately it was true. I had blockage on my left artery and was opend by caridalogist and did well for like 11 years. Recently had experinced shortness of breath when the same spcialist check it was reblocked like 60% and reopend again.

Your situation may not be same as myne but when it comes to emotional stree or anxitey it is better not rely on meds rather change your life style by doing some physical excercises, good diet, and happy times. If you experincing shorntess of breath when you walk fast for like 5-10 mins and have felt pain in your chest you MUST check with a cardialogist. Also if you have a family history of heart problem you must pay attention to these symptoms and always check your blood cholestrol level.

No one is free from stress and anxiety but we can manage it and reduced it all other things are in the hand os God and we only can do our best.

Take care

Hi Lola
I have the same symptoms you have!!! I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. I'm constantly dizzy and get short of breath all the time. I have been worked up to no end. MRI of my head, CT of my head, 3 CT's of my chest maybe 4, PFT's, echo, dobutamine stress test, etc. etc. Everything came out normal. Now I a started seeing a psychiatrist because I'm beginning to realize maybe this is all from anxiety. I, too, recently had a baby and a few months before that my grandma (who was my hero) passed away. So lots of stress going on. I'm gonna start taking pills for anxiety and with the help of my family, God, and my own mind, I'm hoping all my sufferings will eventually go away. Good luck, God bless. Please let me know how you do.

I STARTED HAVEING SHORTNESS OF BREATH WHEN I WAS AROUND 32 YRS OLD. I WAS IN A VERY STRESSFUL MARRIAGE,FINALLY DIVORCED,BUT ANY TIME I GET UNDER STRESS OF WORRY I NOTICE THE SHORTNESS OF BREATH BACK AGAIN. I HAVE SPENT YEARS HAVING ALL KINDS OF HEART TEST BECAUSE I WAS SO SURE IT WAS MY PROBLEM,THEY FOUND NOTHING SERIOUS,JUST A LOT OF IRREGULAR HEART BEATS,AND FAST BEATS SOMETIMES. SO YES,STRESS,AND WORRY CAN SURE CAUSE SHORTNESS OF BREATH.

Hello Elizabeth, I noticed that your post is a year old. I am a 49 year old and I have been experiencing chronic shortness of breath...I've had countless EKG's done and they all say "Normal". And when I tell them it gets worse before my period, they look at me like I'm strange. Is there anyone else out there that is experiencing the "shortness of breath" symtom in peri-menopause??? I'd really like to know!!
I've asked doctors: "can this be due to peri-menopause?" and they all say, "no".
But, I've never had it before now, and I get it especially a week before my period.
Have you been able to get answers? How are you doing?

Okay, I noticed now you posted in 2006. I hope you are still on here, b/c I'd like to know how you made out, and if you found answers! :)

How do you get rid of that shortness of breath, it's so frustrating and irritating!!