Good day everyone. My world just crushed in one second today. My father called me (we live in the different towns and we don't have a lot of chances to be together) and he told me that his cardiologist told him that he needs to have a heart transplantation because his heart is very weak and maybe he won't have chances to live that long anymore. I know that this is very complicated surgery, we all do. I just want to know what are the most common complications of heart transplantation that can happen to a patient. Thank you for any information. 

Hey darling.

I am so sorry to hear this.

I think that you are really desperate and sad. But there is nothing that you can do about it. Every surgery is complicated on its own way. The most common complication is rejection. The risk of rejection never goes away when it comes about heart transplantation... You will always need to stay on your antirejection medications. The dose of the medications will be decreased, but your dad should never skip or stop your medications because something can go wrong. A biopsy of the heart is the best way to diagnose rejection. Take care. 

Dear Guest, I can’t understand how you feel. I am really sorry and it makes my cry reading your post. I sincerely hope that everything is going to be fine. Yes, rejection is the most common complication of heart transplantation. But there is always fear of the infection. The  immunosuppressant medications can always increase the  chances of certain types of infections. These infections can be treated but you will need to be aware of fevers, unusual pains, or any other new feelings. As the doses of the antirejection medications are decreased, the risk of infections will also decrease. The doctor will explain this to you. How old is your dad?

Hey there. That is something that I was afraid of - those complications and I can see that there are so many of them. My dad is not that old, he is 63 years old but he had 4 bypass surgeries. And his heart is really weak now that he needs to go to this transplantation. I know that he was feeling bad but the biggest problem at this moment is that he wants to give up. He called me today and he told me that he don't want to have this surgery because " he is already tired of his life". I just don't want to hear this from him, I am scared that he will give up in real.

Hey Guest,

First of all, did the doctors find a heart for him already? It isn't so easy to find a heart for someone, a bit more harder to find a compatible one. 

Indeed, the rejection of the heart is the complication which is the most common when it comes to a procedure such as a heart transplantation. But anyway, the chances are high for this surgery to go as planned and to end up well. There are people who are living just as normal after a heart transplantation. He will need some time to recover but he should be just fine.

Hi Guest,

This procedure carries some risks like every other open heart surgery. This one is a bit more dangerous than the others, which is normal if you think about it.

There is this complication called a failure of a donor heart. Over time, the new heart may fail due to the same reasons that caused the original heart to fail. Failure of the donor heart also can occur if your body rejects the donor heart or if cardiac allograft vasculopathy (CAV) develops. CAV is a blood vessel disease.

Patients who have a heart transplant that fails can be considered for another transplant (called a retransplant).

Hey Guest,

The most frequent cause of death in the first 30 days after transplant is primary graft dysfunction. This occurs if the new donor heart fails and isn't able to function.

Factors such as shock or trauma to the donor heart or narrow blood vessels in the recipient's lungs can cause primary graft dysfunction. Doctors may prescribe medicines (for example, inhaled nitric oxide and intravenous nitrates) to treat this condition.

Infection is also dangerous. When the immune system, the body's defense system, is suppressed, the risk of infection increases. Infection is a major cause of hospital admission for heart transplant patients. It also is a leading cause of death in the first year after transplant.

Hey Guest,

There are indeed a lot of possible bad and dangerous complications which can occur but you have to have faith, if you  think good, good will come to you(if you don't believe in this, try this one time, you might be surprised what a power of believing can do). 

I am not going to tell you about complications since there are a lot of them, but trust me on this one, your father is going to be just fine. Be sure to be there for him during this time since the recovery process can be hard and he will need your support.

Hey there. Of course that this is very complicated procedure, this is one of the most dangerous surgeries ever because you can't be sure that someone body will accept other persons heart. Even doctors can't know that and be sure. Now, I do understand that you are worried but you can' just go with negative toughs immediately. I know that you are worried because your dad is older , but there are so many bright and successful examples of the people who had successful surgery and they live with their new heart for many years. Stay focused and be calm!