Hi, my mother suffers from dementia. She has gone trough a lot. Almost every day I took her to the doctor. She underwent many tests and examinations. At the end, dementia was diagnosed. Some days ago I heard something about pseudo dementia. I never heard about it before. I am worrying that my mother may have that as well. Does pseudo dementia exist and what can you tell me about this condition?

Hi, pseudo-dementia is a known illness. It is common among older people. Pseudo-dementia expresses itself as a problem with the memory. People that suffer from this condition are unable to memorize new things. Also they are aware of their incapability. The symptoms of pseudo-dementia are similar to the ones of dementia. But people suffering from pseudo-dementia also have symptoms of depression. However, depression, even with elderly people, is treatable. Of course if recognized. If you see that your mother is having problems memorizing new things and is depressed, she might have pseudo-dementia. In this case, you should take her to see a doctor and tell him about the symptoms she is having. The doctor will determine the right course of treatment.