Hello! My father is older man and we are suspecting that he has dementia, but we are not completely sure. I want to know how I can be sure if my father has dementia? What I need to do to discover this? I hope you understand how this information is important to me.. I am thanking you in advance!

Hello! Regarding the fact that depression in the elderly can be mistaken for dementia, I suggest you to take your father to medical examinations. Only on this way you can be sure if he has dementia or not. This is very touchy subject and it is not grateful to talk about symptoms and other things. Only doctor can give you answer on this question after done medical exam.

Like abeau has said dementia in elderly can be easy mistaken for depression and the only person who can confirm that your father is suffering from dementia is medical expert after he run some tests.

I can understand that you are probably worried about your father and if he is really suffering from dementia you should find out this answer as soon as possible because in early diagnosing you can do few things to reduce and slow down the symptoms of dementia.

You will have to get involved whole family and you must prepare yourself for great responsibility. But don’t worry because if you have whole family as a support you will manage to find best way to deal with this.