My dear old mum was diagnosed with a condition called lewy body dementia last week. We knew that there was something wrong with her, and she also knows. I can't say that it is totally unexpected. The doctor also tells me that lewy body dementia is quite a common condition in elderly people. Does having lewy body dementia affect a person's life expectancy at all? My mum is 79 right now, and she does still have a lot of energy.

Hello there,

First of all I am very sorry to hear that your mother is diagnosed with such a difficult condition. Lewy body dementia is very difficult to treat and people with Lewy body dementia usually have severe reactions to antipsychotic medications which are usually very helpful in treating symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations.

At the moment there is no cure for this condition and average life expectancy, according to few studies, for a person with Lewy body dementia after the first symptoms appear is 7 years. But this doesn’t have to mean anything because every person is different and this also depends on some other factors such as age, the severity of symptoms, and coexisting medical conditions.

Since your mother is full of energy I believe that she will beat the statistics.

My Name is Rose I am from Germany and I am working wit as a Nurse with the elderly..one women is on my mind which came to us with diagnosed dementia..but still very agil . After a few months she changed and became very much she was tired but could not sleep always on the move sort of speak...unfortunatly I had my Holiday at that time and when I came back she was put on medication Seroquel..100..Risperidon 1, :::Her life was not better it looked more like Parkinson every day...I was in contact with the doctor to reduce the medication when she collapsed and an appallic shock..was in Hospital for a week..now I heard that she suffers under ths sydrome.all she gets now is Pantoprazo, Enalapril and Vitamin B12 and Folsäure..and she slowly gets better

I am sorry for my bad english but what I want to say is that we are nurses who care about our eldery and need more Information..I fight every day with doctors who perscribe medication..and I just know that less is more not all the medication is good an makes the ones we care for ..more ill...I just hope I find some understanding--and maybe a helping mail..thank you