Hello! I want to know can be urinary tract infection symptoms mistaken for kidney stones. I am interesting in this because my mother’s doctor told her yesterday (without any exam) that she should not be worried about her condition because she has symptoms of kidney stones. Now, I am afraid that he maybe made mistake. Please, tell me what you advise me. Thank you in advance!

Hello! Unfortunately, at older persons symptoms of urinary tract infection may be mistaken with some other diseases. So, it is possible that UTI symptoms mistaken for kidney stones. Your mother must insist on medical exams. If her doctor does not want to do these exams, then she really need to change doctor. I really hope that this helps you.

Hello there,

Simply it is not ok if your mother’s doctor thinks that giving a diagnose without any examination is enough and especially if older person is in question.

You need to change your doctor unless your mother had some problems with UTI or kidney stone before so he was certain that this problem has reoccurred. But anyway he should do some urine tests and analysis to be sure whether it is urinary tract infection or maybe kidney stones.

Both conditions are treated with antibiotics but kidney stones can be bigger in size and this sometimes requires a surgical procedure so definitely it is necessary to determine the right diagnosis.

Anyhow change the doctor if yours refuse to examine your mother again.