Hi, I’ve been diagnosed with hepatitis C, genotype 3A. What is this specific genotype like compared to the other genotypes? Did I get the worst kind of hepatitis C?

I was told that this genotype is more common in Europe and Asia. Different genotypes make differences in treatment response. It’s believed that genotype 3A should be easier to treat, but it doesn’t have to be so. The other important thing is in which stage of liver damage is your liver. There are 3 stages and third is prior to cirrhosis. Most frequently used treatment is interferon with antivirotic, ribavirin. The hepatologist should always be consulted on this issue. It can stay undetected for 10-20 years. No vaccine is available. Patients with hepatitis C should be immunized against hepatitis A and hepatitis B if they are not already immune.