I took 20 mg of Omeprazole daily for 5 months, then went on 40 mg a day for 3 more months. I quit cold turkey upon learning I have osteoporosis. Things went just fine for 5 months, and problems just returned in the past week. In the past year I have been able to trace my stomach problems to drinking colas and or alcohol. My stomach will feel great and I cocky and start imbibing colas or alcohol, and about a week later I'm having problems. This last experience with stomach problems began with an occasional cola and chili with a LOT of tomatoes and tomato paste in it. So I would suspect that one can go off Omeprazole and other ant acids if you really watch what you eat and avoid stress.

Thanks everybody for your posts! Am also experiencing increasing pain and stomach issues despite being on omeprazole and really needed to know if i can use ranitine. Very grateful for what I have read here.

Hello, yes I have had a laparoscopy years ago and am fixing to have another one soon. It is not too bad. They make two or three little incisions above and below the bellybutton to put a camera in and look around for problems. It is usually an out patient procedure. You might be a little sore. I hope this helps.

I imagine that the original poster's received the right medical attention by now, but for anyone else experiencing the same...

If you have these symptoms, see your physician, and get confirmation that you don't have H.pylori infection or a grumbling appendix.  I did have those symptoms, and it was the appendix at fault, but H.pylori causes stomach ulcers, which give rise to similar indications.  Either condition needs proper treatment: "putting up with it" is not a valid option.  A ruptured appendix will kill without extremely prompt treatment (sometimes even with), and H.pylori is a very undesirable organism to be infected by, for a range of reasons that go beyond the misery of a constantly painful gut.

I just went to the doctors this morning, my doctor said that I may have a hiatal hernia, I don't have an ulcer but they want me to have an EGD, they put you to sleep and put a tube down your throat to check on the condition of your esophagus... I have been having terrible acid reflux and a lot of gas, burping all the time... Anyway they put me on 20 mg of Prilosec and I take 300 mg of Ranitidine... I am going to see gastro doc tomorrow, kind of concerned about all but I have to believe and have faith that all will be well. Will let you know...

Have you tested for H.pylori infection in stomach ? If not do it and if positive,take proper treatment for that and you will feel great relief.

perrin, have u been scoped to check your throat area? if not u need to do so...there is a surgery that wrappes the esophogus and cures this problem

FAMILYThank you Crystal for an informative post. Fil

hello all, first excuse my english,

I juste wanna precise that omeprazol is not active in non acid zone so in my opinion it is prefered to take omeprazol early in the morning two ours at least before ranitidine.

thank's to all.

you might want to try increasing your ppi dosage, make it 40mg for omeprazole

Ca i use Ranitidine with omeprazole together

Crystal~ thank you so much for your informative response. I am sitting here typing this in dismal pain. It frightens me sometimes because my Aunt died from stomach cancer. I have horrible reflux, generally speaking, which causes the growths on my thyroid to inflame and swell. That in itself causes me breathing difficulties when trying to sleep. Of late (as in, even at this very moment) I am suffering with a churning acid burn in my stomach. I know EXACTLY what has brought it on (brownies served at a friends house) and first treated it with omeprezole but is did not help...I just took a Ranitidine...I pray it kicks in quickly. It's certainly a wake up call...so again, thank you for your informative response.

I use 150 mg of ranitidine with 20 mg of omnepraziole(?) with magnesium twice a day and I take them together! The way they put me on them at hospital over 3 years ago!! I still have problems with acid reflux-especially at night! It will wake me up gasping to breathe in the middle of the night-having backed up and gone down my wind pipe! Takes a while to clear-very scary!

I am taking 20mg omeprazole morning and evening and rantidine 300 mg mid day, i am moving the rantidine to before bed to stop nightime GERD. I have Barratt's, I have roscea/occula and facial and Dr prescribed Lymecyline and that was the worst thing ever, caused horrendous pain and reflux. Not sur ehow long the Lymecycline will take to leave my system, I also had pancreatitis two years ago and had my Gall Bladder removed, I think Drs should always refer these problems to specialists.

my friend took herself off over a period of several months using marshmallow root and DGL. It was rough but all she uses now is the Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice Root extract. She had been on a PPI and Zantac