Years ago I was put on Ranitidine and worked up to 300mg bid and Omprazole 40 mg bid and was better for the first time in my life. I had gotten up and started every day vomiting up yellowish, frothy acid. It was just part of my morning routine and it got worse over the years. I so appreciated the relief from the Ranitidine and Omeprazole together. A couple of months ago my doctor cut me back to 150mg of Ranitidine bid and I began having GERD symptoms quickly. Acid reflux with chronic coughing and gagging punts of congestion in my throat and mouth. So my doctor changed the Omeprazole to Pantoprazole 40mg bid. My symptoms have continued to worsen to where I am now having the congestion, cough, heart burn with vomiting of the yellow frothy acid thru-out the day. I taste the acid in my mouth continually and have pain down my midline to my stomach as well as in the back of my throat, my stomach burns all the time, and feel nauseated continually. I can't eat, can't function. And it's not just me that is suffering: I am the sole caregiver for my adult son who is bed/wheelchair bound due to a rare seizure disorder. I can't take care of him, I can't look at food much less feed him without feeling more nauseated. I do all of his personal care and it is simply beyond me as I feel now. All because what was working beautifully was tinkered with and the successful management of my extreme GERD was undone. I'm not eager about the increased risk of esophageal cancer either. I am wondering why these changes in my pathological GERD since the cutting in half of my Ranitidine dose aren't reason enough to put things back like they were, to at least see if that is simply the correct dose for me? I know that Ranitidine is given up to 600mg a day in special cases. Doesn't this indicate mine is a special case? Honestly, it's a sad thing to me if I have had to go thru all of this just to "test" the appropriateness of the successful dosage of Ranitidine for almost 10 years. No doctors were harmed in this tampering with the dosages of my Pathological GERD. :(

I got off all PPI by changing my diet, eating small meals approx every 3 hrs. Decreased my fat intake, cut out my daily caffeine and don't eat 3 hrs before I go to bed. I use Ginger that I get at a health food stores for days when I fail to follow doctor's orders. I had to get off the PPIs because the drugs were making my osteoporosis worse. Hope this helps.

I was having issues with chronic cough particularly at night. My oncologist suggested I take  my Omeprazole 40mg at night (Somac). I was then concerned that my acid would be a problem during the day so have been taking 300mg Ranitidine (Zantac) in the morning and my cough has reduced considerably.

I am having CT scan of chest this week to rule out any other problems and will tell my doctor that I have been taking Zantac as I realise I probably should not take this beyond maybe 2 weeks just to allow my stomach acid to settle down.   

Crystal- Insurance isn't a problem. It's the doctors and the drug companies teamed up with the government to crush free trade of cheap drugs manufactured overseas.
The evil doctor s**m the use of the prescription drug restriction scam to keep the people sick.
The hospitals are filthy germ factories that charge obscene fees to keep the weak lingering from reinfections.
The only incentive in the system is to keep the patient alive long enough to suck every penny out of them.

Quick question regarding your GERD What are your symptoms and what do you do on a normal basis to keep it at bay

Hi, I was with the same symptoms and same medicines, I found out that natural ginger tea, work wonderful, take it 3 times per day and let me know. Best wishes!! Gloria

I originally took 20 mg of omeprazole in the morning and for the past two years added another 20 mg 30 min before dinner. All at Dr. direction. Has helped immensely, but a key has been that for the past two years I have also had zero snacks after dinner. Going to bed on an empty stomach has been a lifesaver. I still have occasional problems with a queasy stomach at bedtime and sure enough I would wake up in the middle of the night with heartburn. The 100% solution for me on those occasions only, has been to take 150 mg ranitidine at bedtime. Has been a wonder drug for me.

Hi did this work for you as I'm just starting to take theses together

Tina
Is that working for you? I want to try it because it seems that the prilosec wears off after 7 to 8 hours.

yep, you sure can

Hi everyone I've seen a lot of you guys have kind of the same problem as I do, so what im reading from ur comments, i should take omeprazole in the morning and Zantac before bed!!? Other question i have, does anyone have heartbeat faster then normaly (like nervous and shaking) when you have the pains or High acid in your stomach??? Pliz let me know it feels horrible

Yes I do c a doc. But I feel he's not getting my problem here I had the knot removed 5 yrs ago by a doc wile I lived n California. Now I'm n Missouri & I was told by the doc. My lettrolight & my blood work was clear so no way I could b throwing up everything. So I will fix me.

Hi Perrin, Before Prilosec was over the counter, I was on it for 8 years, then the doctor moved me to Nexium (Prilosec on Steriods is what they called it) because it wasn't working enough and my esophagus was eroding from the acid. The problem was my insurance didn't want to pay for Nexium. The doctor had to write some type of letter to them explaining why I needed to be on Nexium instead of Prilosec. Now that Nexium is over the counter, my insurance won't pay for it, so my doctor put me on 40 mg of Protonix once per day, but it was like I wasn't taking anything, so he told me to take it twice per day. It was controlling my acid, but then I had diarrhea every day, so I went back to using Prilosec. I have been taking it twice per day because the over-the-counter product is only 20 mg, where the prescription strength was 40 mg. I am still having problems with acid, so I just bought Ranitidine yesterday, and am going to try the two together. I had this for about 20 years before ever going to the doctor. I had an ulcer at the time, but once I was on Prilosec it healed up. However, for some reason, I still have the acid reflux regularly, and the doctor doesn't know why. It is absolutely miserable.

Thanks for your and everyone elses replies. I really don't think there will ever be a true solution to our problems. Since posting I have tried numerous things but I found actually cutting down on the medication helped. I worked out that the medication was cutting acid production so much that food wasn't digesting and was festering in my stomach causing reflux and pain. After experimenting with various combinations and a change in diet I now find myself on only 20mg of omepresole daily. I still suffer sometimes but ultimately the vast majority of my pain was coming from a lack of acid not excess. Apparently lots of studies show the same and that lots of GPs are misdiagnosing with some people finding relief from actually takibg acid tablets. Also with recent links to heart attacks the less of this stuff we have to take the better!

I am taking both raniditine 150 ranitidine and omeprozole 40 mg 2x daily for Gerd and itching all over , has anyone else heard of this!