Hi, I have received a varicocele surgery in july 2010, and since then, i realize my upper body grew quite a bit(in terms of length), while my leg did not grow at all(length-wise), and my body are really out of proportion now. Could the surgery have stunted proper leg longbone growth, perhaps by damaging or affecting nerves, tissues, or certain pathways? I am currently 17 years old. Thank you

Hi Steve,

What procedure did they use for the surgery?  Was it the embolization procedure in which they snake a catheter up the femoral vein?

Even then, it is unlikely that the surgery affected your bone growth.  At 17 you are still growing but nearing your adult height.  It could just be the way you're growing.  Usually, your lower extremities will grow before the trunk.

It is also possible that that's just the way you are going to develop.  Not everyone is in perfect proportion.

I can give you the title of a book that may help explain all this.  I'm not sure if it helps.  It's called "Growth, Maturation, and Physical Activity" by Robert Malina, Claude Bouchard, and Oded Bar-Or. 

Hope it helps.

Hi:
   It was the traditional open surgery where an incision was made.

Hi Steve,

In that case it is even more unlikely. The surgery should have been performed on the scrotum. The nerves and blood vessels that supply the legs are not near that location.