Hi. I have many friends from which many smoke… I’ve heard somewhere that smoking can stunt your growth – is that true?? Does that effect me by hanging out with them when they smoke, even though I do not smoke???

Yes, you’ve heard right - smoking can stunt your growth. The effect is more severe during the early stage, especially before you even get born. Mothers that smoke during their pregnancies have lower birth-weight babies and those babies are more likely to have health problems ad they grow up. Smoking effects your growth but as you’re getting older, those effects are less serious. I had friend of mine that started smoking in 3rd grade – trust me when I tell you that, regarding his growth, he stayed just as he was back then. He was so short and his skin became grayish. Smoking effects you only in bad way, so I think you should stay away from it as much as you can. It is proven that it can effect you even when you’re not smoking but just hanging around people who smoke – you inhale smoke just the same. Hope this helps.

Many people say that smoking stunts the growth of fetuses and children, meaning when they are exposed to second-hand smoke. (Though some really small kids also do smoke, unfortunately.) Later in life, nicotine smoking certainly stunts cell regeneration and especially your lungs.

The effects of second-hand smoking are certainly real. By being around smokers a lot, you expose yourself to less of, but still some of, the same effects they have from smoking cigarettes themselves. I am not sure what advice I have for you, because you still want to hang out with smokers, other than to just encourage them to smoke outside. 

when the health people say cig stunts growth, they are talking about the growth in your lungs.

Take with this with a little bit of salt, because it may be hard for you. Smoking stunts your growth, yes, but to stunt growth you have to be "growing." If you start smoking heavily before you biggest growth spurt and continue on then yes. You would probably be shorter than you could have potentially been. In your case you smoked alot after and still grew some. Yeah you still will grow, but you never know, you could have been 6' 6 and 1/2".

Quote:

I am 15 and want to get shorter cause most people say i am tall, does weight lifting really help cause i hear that it stunts your growth.
if not what other choices are there?
please help. :?

Does smoking weed stunt growth or the growth of your lungs?

yer ive been smoking since year 8 and now im year 11 and hooked and its fuked and im now im wondering if it does stunt my growth pretty fuked!!

No, weight lifting doesn't stunt your growth, there's no harm in working out in your early teens. However, smoking does a hell of a lot of damage to your health, and has more affect in your early years.

Hey, everytime you need a smoke, just lift some weights, that'll do the trick :-P
trulyhuge.com/news/tips63iq.htm

im 14 years old with around a 4 inch penis, no pit hair and little pubes, i have a high voice and all my friends aare big and tall, i started smokin weed like a year ago and have done it about 20 times, ive quit for a while and i was wonderin if marijuana delays puberty

no smoking pot does nto stunt your growth. it does not do anything to the pituatory gland in the brain which is what makes you grow and devolop. that part of the brain is not affected through chronic marijuna usage. all the gowth stunting BS was an add campian in the 1930s the government made to ban hemp from being sold on the market.

Well, if you want people to respect what you say, you should learn how to spell. "Alot"s actually two words....a lot......ignorant. Pot smoking effects testosterine and that can cause a stunt in growth, muscle development and hair loss. You sound like a stoner yourself!

i started smokin everyday when i was 14 for about a year i was always the tall then i stayed 5'8 i stopped and i grew about 2 more inches now im 5'10 i feel like sh*t i think i missed my growth spurt my dads 6'1 my moms 5'8 my little bros 6'2 sucks being short

I think everyone is missing the Big picture here, when you're dead and lying on your back in a casket you are only about 1 foot tall off the bottom of that coffin's floor.

Regardless if it has been proven to stunt your growth or not it has been linked to lung cancer, that in it self should be enough to understand that it's a bad idea to smoke or be around smokers.

I'm no angel, I’ve smoked everything mentioned on this page and a few other things that weren't mentioned but that was all in my past, when I was young and dumb. Now I am older and wish I could change my past.

On a personal note to the 6'4" guy, just because your father may have dodged a bullet up until this point in his life with the whole smoking thing, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be as lucky.

When you're talking about life and death; who cares about how tall you are? You're either alive or dead. I personally want to live.

Im in 9th grade. im only 5'4 and i weigh 100 pounds, so im already short and small for my grade. If i start smoking at a rate of about 2 cigs a day, will my growth be seriously affected?