Hi there -

I am new to this forum, but have lurked for a while.

It is time I get this dealt with.....so here goes. I am hoping I can get some reassurance, anyway.

I have a HARD malformation/lump at the end of my clavicle where it meets my sternum. It is definitely part of the bone - hard as a rock. It sticks up about 2mm and comes to a bit of a ridge. The sternum is worn away unusually around where this hard, malformed bit grinds into my sternum. It is unmovable and feels a part of the bone. It can be noticed from the outside of my neck/throat. The lump itself does not hurt but because I have so many ligaments/joints down my neck and over this area, I sometimes get referred pain across my chest and up my neck (sometimes into my shoulder).

This lump has been there for about 4 years and I have known about it for about 2 years (I can trace it in pictures). If it has grown in this time, it is not by more than maybe 1/2mm. If even that.

I have never broken or damaged this part of my body. I am 32 years old.

I am terrified I have cancer. My son's father just died unexpectedly a few months ago and my worries about this lump have skyrocketed since then. I am the sole supporter of a 4 person household which would implode if I even took any time off of work.

Has anyone ever had this? Can anyone who has had cancer tell me if I should worry?!?

I know I should go to my GP - I am just too terrified. I have had a very tragic year and one more thing will just send me over the edge.

I have exactly the same problem. I was very concerned and went to the doctor. Not only is there a knot on the clavical (size of a quarter) but my clavical is sticking out further than the other side. There is pain in my chest, shoulder, neck and sometimes it goes up my head when I pick something up or sometimes when I turn a certain way. The doctor said it's only arthritis and the knot is inflammation. I have never heard of that but that is what the doctor said. 

My mother who has stage 4 breast cancer, and is doing very well, has the same thing. She has a quarter size lump on her clavicle bone, it does not hurt and does not move. Her oncologist told her it is not cancer. She still worries and makes me also. We saw other people have this also!!! She feels much better now!!!

I have just come from my doctor with the same symptoms. At my left  sterno-clavicular joint, where the ligaments connect the sternum and clavicle, I have a hard growth about the size of a grape. It is painless and seems solidly connected to the top of the sternum - I can get my fingers around it and have tried to move it, but it is solidly fixed.

I had an x-ray and ultrasound today after seeing my doctor. The growth is not bony, nor is it soft tissue. It feels firm like bone or hard cartilage - it is also not a lipoma. I doubt that it is a cyst because they are normally fluid-filled and not as firm.
Neither my doctor nor the radiologist know what it is.  I am male, 61 years old and generally in excellent health and fitness. While cancer is in my family history, I doubt that this is the cause of this growth.

I have now been referred to an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist.

just been for chest xray today for the same thing worried i to have cancer my lump has been there for two years i too am self employed and the worrying is unbearable

My name is Gene . I live in Toronto. I am 61 years old.

I have the same symptoms that you have, only my hard bump is about the size of a grape and is firmly attached to the upper side of the clavicle where it binds to the sternum. I am feeling no pain from it.

For the past 2 months, I have seen 3 doctors and have had an X-ray, 2 ultrasounds, to biopsies and an CT scan this week. So far, the docs have told me that the growth is not from either a fungal or bacterial infection, but they otherwise do not know what has caused it . They have not eliminated the possibility of cancer, but it seems unlikely at this point.

I am expect to be scheduled with a Thoracic Surgeon soon so that he can do an 'open biopsy' and to remove the growth. The nurse called today to tell me to expect this surgery before the end of October.

I am not particularly worried about this lump. If it is cancer, it is growing so slowly that it is not likely a major threat and can be treated easily. However, I expect that the chance of it being cancer is very small.

My advise to you - get it checked out. It is far better to know what it is and do something about it than to act after it is too late. Good luck.

i HAVE A LUMP THERE ALSO, BUT JUST NOTICED IT AND HAVE NOT BEEN TO THE DR YET. I JUST WANT TO TELL YOU SOMETHING A DR TOLD ME SEVERAL YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT PAIN IN MY HIP I HAD FOR A YEAR OR 2 WHILE I HAD NO INSURANCE ALSO. SHE SAID " WELL YOU KNOW ITS NOT CANCER BECAUSE CANCER GROWS QUICKLY, AND SPREADS QUICKLY, AND IF IT WAS CANCER YOU'D BE DEAD BY NOW. I HOPE THIS IS SOME COMFORT FOR YOU TO KNOW, AND I WILL PRAY FOR YOU THAT ALL TURNS OUT WELL. I ALSO HAVE A HARD BUMP ON MY WRIST, WHICH A DR TOLD ME WAS JUST SOMETHING SIMILIAR TO ARTHRITIS. IVE HAD FOR 10 YRS NOW WITH NO COMPLICATIONS (BUT A LITTLE PAIN). BEST TO YOU.

You need to find out if it's your Sterno-clavicle that maybe dislocated.

I have had the same thing for at least 10 years.  I've been feeling it grow.  I can finally see it sticking out of my skin.  I am worried because it is growing upward toward my adams apple and there is only a fingers space between the two.  I worry that it will at some point hinder my ability to swallow.  I am only 45 and it hurts terribly at times.  I also have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and this lump seems to be much more painful when I am in a "flare-up", which happens when I am sick or stressed out.  No one has been able to tell me what it is either.  I have mentioned it to at least 5 or 6 different Orthopedic MD's that I have seen for knee problems.  They usually blow it off with some generic answer.  I wonder if any of you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia or have any of the same afflictions I have.  I just can't help but think there may be some common denominator.  I would love to hear from any of you.  I have a whole laundry list of medical problems that the Lord has blessed me with.  I would love to know if there is any tie here. 

I also have this lump and have been diagnosed with Fibro. Mine is also painful at times. I have not been to the doctor yet.

I also have a hard lump on my clavicle where it meets the sternum. I only noticed this yesterday, it is not sore or painful in any way. However I am only 26 and this is really worrying me. I went to the drop in centre today and wasn't told anything apart from to wait a week to see my GP. Anybody know anyone in my age group with the same problem??

Thanks

Sarah

yeah sarah..im only 22 yrs old and also have a lump on my clavicle near throat..its also painless like a bone..but i dont feel any pain..i dont know what this is..im hoping i can find an answers in the internet but as i can read this comments..u too guys doesn't know it...o.O i have this lump 1 year ago..

but i found something interesting..
its an explanation about lump in clavicle

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I have had the very same thing for 2 years, my MD sent me for an ultrasound which was useless. The Uts tech just complained that she couldn't line up a shot of both sides of the clavicle because of the lump. Then I was sent to an ENT specialist which was equally useless and just told me to observe it and if it continues to grow to return. They both suggested it was just osteoarthritis but couldn't tell for sure, so now I just try to ignore it and put up with the pain that it causes in my shoulder and neck.

Yes I have fibromyalgia and recently came out of a severe flare with sternoclavicular inflammation. Dr said is arthritis. Pain in shoulder, neck and jaw