hi im 17 and just had posterior spine surgery. i had a bone graft done on my back and im afraid that smoking marijuana will affect the fusion and the bone graft will not fuse with my bac. is marijuana smoking affect bone growth like nicotine in ciqarettes. i would really appreciate answers.

Yes, marijuana can too slow healing and I suggest you don’t do it since you had such an important surgery. Why play with your life? I mean, you are not addicted to marijuana, so you can put your mind to not smoking at least until you have healed.

Marijuana effects blood pressure, as well as heart rate and slows oxygen supply to the tissues. This can slow and impair healing of the bones. Not to mention that is has very negative effects on the lungs and it may impair the immune’s system, and this is the least thing you need right now.

I wouldn’t play with this if I were you.

:twisted: :evil: give me a betterdefination of smoking weed

Natalia wrote:

Do you have solid proof of those claims? I know it increases blood pressure and heart rate, but i have never heard of it slowing down healing or impairing the immune system.

hey this reply is in regards to the above topic....ive recently broke my right hurmerous and i do smoke a lot of weed...i broke my arm in augest...it is now feb ive always had problems with the growth of my bones but my doc said i should lay off weed cause it slows down the process...i did a lot of research and i found some things saying it doesn't and some saying it does...everything saying it doesn't were uneducated ppl that think they know what they ar talking about and don't...many different sides to this but i found this the most informative...(i have a titanium bar in my arm).....Marijuana’s psychoactive effect is due to a chemical called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) contained in the cannabis plant. THC binds with the two cannabinoid receptors in the body, CB1 and CB2. CB1 receptors are found mainly in the brain and the binding of THC with CB1 produces the high commonly associated with smoking marijuana. CB2 receptors are found in cells of the immune system.

The study found that “Marijuana inhalation somehow seems to impair the healing of the [trabecular] bone probably because of THC effect in inhibiting CB2 expression on osteoblasts,” cells responsible for bone formation.
so maybe if u don't have a titanium implant maybe it will heal quicker...ppl please do research...don't be lazy

i have a fractured bone 10 cm above my ankle, and after 3 and half months doctor told me that the bone healing is very slow or not healing, and i had been smoking a fair bit of marijuana, and i was doing everything els right, eting right food, supplements exercise and all that.

but i had a really big injury which nearly cost me my leg so had lng surgeries , needed a muscle replacement and artery and damaged nerves, not sure if they are the main cause in my fractured bone healing process or the weed.

But the uneasiness,restlessness and irrtatedness and disturbed sleep which follows after the surgery, Marijuana would be very helpful to heal all these mental stresses.
So just try to smoke it once in 2 weeks.

Anything consumed in excess proves harmful,so lets consume it in lesser quantities and frequency.

hi. i have a very similar fracture to the leg story above. i also agree that smoking will slow the healing process. the docs tell me that 1 cig will confuse blood vessels for 6 hours. i asked him if i can smoke a drag or 2 of a Joint when in pain and craving a cig? he did a quick search and his answer was,," i cant find a reason not to, but i also would not advise it"
now heres my thinking, if i can stop smoking 30 CAMEL FILTERS in a heart beat, and cut down from 5-7 KING sizes a day, to 1 mini blader over 2 days, how bad can this really be? the NICOTINE is the MAJOR factor at play when bones are healing and YES i can believe that, so stop smoking your cigs and cut right down on the weed and your healing will be quicker, which means that you can get back to your old ways even sooner with no-one giving you gears about it :-)
I know its easier said than done, but i am going thru it right now, and its NOT easy at all, but i would rather have a leg than 20 cigs a day, and with a liitle will power you can cut the weed down to a few drags every 5-6 hours, i dont see your recovery or mine, being affected in such a segative way, i believe that mental stress about these sorts of wounds, can be as dangerous to the healing process. we need to keep a POSITIVE outlook on life, and if a few drags give it to you, Enjoy them, but i think, just be discaplined about it :-))

So yeah I think this issue can be seen from both sides, recently suffering head trauma (plates, pins, fist sized hematoma and resulting clot). there are side effects to smoking, that i will agree on, but in some cases these are outweighed by the beneficial properties of cannabis. Personally I had issues, such as increased susceptibility to seasonal allergies, and a pretty bad cough for two weeks. But I will take those over the pain. The marijuana help relieve my hematoma, the pain, and it sure as sh*t helped with the depression, let alone it got me being creative and using my head (puzzles, art, mind exercises). In low doses from a vaporizer from a strain like ak47 there should be no real issues, smoking a cannon every day is probably not a good idea. I haven't found an issue with bone growth yet and can feel the periostium re growing ( on greens bone builder and a sh*t load of vitamin d, and omega 3 6 9) just my .02

Definitely smoke less than you want to. And use a vaporizor if you can since that can seperate most of the other harmful c**p away from your sweet delicious THC.

Here's a study in rats that shows yes, cannabis use does negatively effect cancellous bone growth around titanium implants. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19077584 

More Googling reveals that cancellous bone is the spongy interior part of the bone as opposed to the solid outer part. It's just one minor study, but why would you risk a lifetime of back trouble? Take a break, enjoy your vicodin. You'll have the rest of your life to smoke weed once you're healed up.  

Oh, I see you posted this five years ago. Well it's still first hit on Google for this question..

Quote:

RESULTS:

Tetra-hidro-cannabinoid in urine was positive only for the rats of MSI group. Intergroup analysis did not indicate differences in zone A-cortical bone (P > 0.01), however, a negative effect of marijuana smoke (MSI group) was observed in zone B-cancellous bone for bone-to-implant contact and bone area (Student's t test, P < 0.01) values.

Here's the truth. There are two reasons that smoking cigarettes effects bone growth and both have to do with how the growing bone oxygenates. First off, when you inhale smoke into your lungs, you inhale less air, meaning for that period of time when you are smoking you are recieving less oxygen. Number two, Nicotine is a drug that stops blood cells from recieving oxygen, that is why it makes you feel light headed. When your bones are growing they need oxygen to form, so the actual act of smoking, AND the way Nicotine interacts with your system will have affects on your healing bones growth. The reason I wanted to tell yout his is because there is a common misconception that the act of smoking has a large affect on your bones growth, INCORRECT. The Nicotine in the smoke is what really hurts you.

Now with that said, you can argue that because when you smoke weed, you inhale smoke thus less air thus you are depriving yourself of oxygen and hurting your healing bones. BUT when looked at from an unbiased perspective you can see that unless you are smoking MASSIVE amounts of marijuana, the short time in which smoke takes up lung space will not have drastic effects if any. AND since there is no Nicotine in Marijuana there is no chemical causing oxygen restriction. So all in all smoking marijuana while healing alright.

INFACT, its more than alright. If you are having troubles involving pain, I recommend using marijuana medicinally. ALSO look at this study that shows how smoking marijuana may strengthen bones and help prevent bone disease. http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/96146

Better definition of smoking weed: f*****g awesome

Summarised Quote: Posted by Guest on 3/10/12 9:27 PM

Here's the truth. There are two reasons that smoking cigarettes effects bone growth and both have to do with how the growing bone oxygenates [......]

1.inhale smoke = less air, = less oxygen while smoking.

2. Nicotine stops blood cells from recieving oxygen = makes you feel light headed.

3. bone growth requires oxygen to form,

4. The act of smoking + Nicotine interactions with your system = affects bones growth.

5. misconception:  act of smoking = large affect on your bones growth, INCORRECT. Nicotine =what really hurts you.

6. unbiased perspective: time which smoke marijuana = 0 drastic effects if any.

7. no Nicotine in Marijuana there = no chemical causing oxygen restriction = smoking marijuana while healing = alright.

8. ALSO look at this study that shows how smoking marijuana may strengthen bones and help prevent bone disease. http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/96146

Actually, most of the above is total c**p. 

1. smoking may result in an overall reduction of your lungs oxygen intake efficiency by damaging them. but it doesn't stop you from getting oxygen. 

2. Nicotine doesn't stop blood cells form receiving oxygen and that certainly has nothing to do with feeling light headed.

3. all cells require oxygen including bone cells, but since smoking doesn't affect the amount of oxygen in your bloodstream this is not a concern. 

4. act of smoking = c**p. Nicotine interactions = true, but not because of the the theories mentioned above.

Actually Nicotine does a couple of things. it causes constriction of capilliaries and therefore reducing blood supply to healing bone. Blood carries alot of important things to healing bone. The immune system travels through the blood stream. The whole healing process is transported through the blood, so reduced blood supply to the healing site will impair the healing significantly. 

One other affect of nicotine is that it actually impairs the ability of immune cells. nicotine gets into the white blood cells responsible for destroying bacteria, and this impairs their ability to kill bacteria making the wound site more prone to infection. And you certainly wouldn't want infection to get into a bone graft/spinal surgery. 

5. nicotine is what really hurts you .... that is probably the only thing you've said that I would agree with.

6.  sure, time smoking anything = no affect because there is no affect on overall oxygen intake. 

7. true, no nicotine in marijuana = nicotine doesn't cause oxygen restriction.

8. Careful how you interpret studies. That study actually didn't say that marijuana improves bone growth. However, it did say that it prevented osteoporosis, therefore it only prevents abnormal destruction of bone from osteoporosis. 

How bout if you drink weed ?