if i lift 3 kg weights with 100 reps a day each arm.
will this stunt my growth?

i have only started a couple days ago and i really need to know for the future.

I'm 13 years old 37.44 kg and 5'1.(I'm pretty skinny but have seen much increase in my arm strength and build so far.)

thanx please kept in touch with me about this.
much will be thanked.

Hi Alex - It's not a good idea for a boy of your age to lift weights. The reason for this is that your bones are growing rapidly during puberty, and lifting weights can prevent the bones from growing correctly. It is advisable to wait until at least 16 before weight training. I believe it is OK to use your own body to train - e.g. press ups, sit-ups etc. Just give the weights a miss for a couple of years. Regards, John.

Wow, that answer is dead wrong. NUMEROUS studies have shown that lifting weights at ages under 16 is not at all harmful and will not prevent your bones from growing correctly. Certainly anyone that age should be under adult supervision when lifting (especially free weights).

Please don't keep spreading the myth about weight training and kids.

WEIGHT LIFTING DOES NOT STUNT GROWTH!!!!

Research has actually shown that weight lifting isn't just not harmful but actually good for bone growth and bone strength. This is the general consensus based on research in the medical community, and anything else is nothing more than a myth that's outlived its time. 

Side effects of weight training can become an issue where incorrect techniques are used, where you use too much weight, where you don't take adequate breaks, and most definitely in those who take steroids. If you want to lift weights safely, you definitely need supervision and training on correct techniques. If you have that, then have fun!

hi james, I am also 13 years old and i do flat water canoeing and at the moment i am 2nd best in the country. I have been doing weights for around a year now and it has not affected my health only my muscles getting bigger but apart from that it has been fine. If u are going to train hard then it will hurt for a while for me it takes about 2 hours until the muscle pain goes away beacuse i am used to it my advice carry on and be the best you can be.

Weight lifting for beginners basics exercises and workout.

Weight lifting for beginners excercises programs have a lot of ground to cover before they can get started, especially since it is not something you should start doing a workout by yourself, you need a lot of guidance for this type of exercises, since for beginners there are a lot of things to know. It is always better if you inform yourself a little and then ask for help at your fitness center of choice about your workout. Obviously there are a lot of things to gain from a correct weight lifting for beginners exercises, and I sure that you want all of the benefits that would bring. So start with the basics, set a schedule, make sure that you can take out enough time for yourself to do a lot of exercises.

Make sure that you do have enough time to dedicate to your new weight lifting for beginners workout program and routines, and remember, it doesn’t matter if it is for beginners¸ it is very important that you stick to it, specially since you might want nothing but the best results out of this exercises, so the second step after having your schedule done, is to set your goals and to commit to them, the easiest way in which you can accomplish something like this, is by having enthusiasm, remember, to get results out of your weight lifting for beginners excersises program, you need to be serious about it, if you are not, you will never pass from being a beginner, and it would be extremely difficult for you to achieve any goals if it is that you have them, so there you have it, the key, even for beginners is commitment, an it is easy to get, all you need to do, is to enjoy of your Weight Lifting for Beginners routines, and you will see how great and easy it can all be.

It is very important in a weight lifting for beginners routine that for the first 6 weeks you commit to not skipping any exercise, especially since it would be nearly impossible to achieve results or to get used to the routine if you do not, so do your best work during this starting point of your routine, it is very important and even crucial, and if you are serious about training and workout, then you are going to be getting lots of incredible building up.

So there you have it, to follow a good weight lifting for beginners workout program and exercises will lead you to have and amazing body, keep up to date with and exercise chart and wear your wrist and belt protectors for safety. Feel better about yourself, and to better your overall body both physical and mentally, there is no better than making at least for beginners some great work out, trust me, you are going to be loving the new you, and you are going to be feeling with lots and lots of strength, so start your weight lifting for beginners right now!

well im thirteen im 5'10 i weigh 210 but i dont have a fat build im not trying to sound like a bragg but I was asking the same question but my aunts boyfreind reccomended learning to lift your own body weight and do squats without weights and 300 to 500 push ups a day and diamonds and shoulder width push ups and couch sit ups and pull ups but i do know a body builder who started when he was 12 he's really big and he's 5'3 and his twelve year old is taller than him so watch out what u lift and i reccomedn waiting till your 14 or 15

i started working out at about your age, im 16 now and have found that because your using such light weights it shouldnt effect your body in a bad way, although you might want to try getting some ten or if you can eleven pound dumbells and doing about 6-8 reps rather than 100 because if you want to get bigger try heavier weight and fewer reps, the less your muscles rip the faster they heal and have time to rip again. but other then that just try not to do any heavy exercises that will put pressure on your joints and back, atleast not till your at a good age :-D

Weight lifting/physical fitness WILL NOT, CAN NOT, DOES NOT stunt your growth!!!! There are 3 factors which stunt growth: Malnutrition, a disease, and steroids. Your height is predetermined as soon as you are born. So even if you suffer a spine injury the bones will still grow to the height they were supposed to. The whole notion of growth being stunted by heavy lifting is a myth. You'd have to lift massive amounts of weight to tighten your muscles to the point where the growth would be stopped or slowed. Just remember the golden rule for teens, do not lift any weight you can't do for at least 5 reps. im 14 bro
:-D

i hope it dosent because im 13 and do 10 reps of 130 a day i dont want to stp growin cuz im only 5 11"........well im not that small :-)

I think it will probably affect your growth later. It is better you consult a gym instructor or trainer. You should increase your weight lifting slowly. Don't go for 100 reps in the start, take proper advice from professional trainers.
All the best!!! :-)

If you do pushups your lifting with your arm strength and that also is your body weight up and down, it also tightens up the stomach muscles and helps the back also done the correct way, most kids 13 go on their own and approach it with good intentions but bad results. Try to use restrictive training, pushups, situps, tennis ball squezing, start slow,and build yor body slow, correct food and hydration is a major factor,and rest the body. if you switch from the top part of your body one day to the lower you will be alright. only your growth plate will cause changes in your body, such as if you were to break your femur at your age then yes a doctor would keep an eye on the progress of the healing stage. try this first, see after a while if it is working and if it does then down road you can start to add weights slow. remember you want to feel good about your self, as in eveything you do in life, school, work, family, sports exercise etc. it takes full motivation and commitment, good luck, and do not quit, look at like this, failure is not an option, it will not happen overnight. I did 4 years in Marine Corp, feel good about your self,and you will see the confidence follow!!"Semper Fi Brother".

hai im 14 and i do 14 kg dumbells for 100 reps and it doesnt stop my growth. im jus keepin on growin. :-)

i started lifting when i was 12 and i am 6 foot 3 now

hello my name is kyle and i started lifting weights when i was 7, i am now thirteen and i am lifting 110 lbs and i have had no problems with my body, but I am fitter then ever before, but i never lift the weights by my self (because 110 lbs is f*****g heavy). but don't stop lifting you will feel great when you can life 110 lbs and have a raging 6 pack to proof it.