I am 14 years old and have one question. One day at my school my friend passed out because he locked his knees. At least we think this was the reason. How does this happen? Can someone tell me more about it?

Yes u can pass out from locking ur knees its stops the blood to going to ur legs so they have anuf energy to keep u standing ... i no this for a fact cuz a friend of mine did the same thing

I am in Air Force Rotc and they continuously tell us during inspection not to lock our knees, and i have seen many people pass out do to the fact that they locked there knees. It is very dangerous and usually ends with broken noses, jaws, and some have cracked there heads open.

YES! you can pass out by locking your knees as I have done a test including me and 2 of my friends that proved that you can. the day before, we all made sure we ate good and drank roughly 20oz of water every 3 hours. the day of the experiment, we ate a normal sized breakfast (as researched) and drank the proper amount of water the body needs to start up. we then stood on a mattress on the ground and the two outside locked their knees (including me). We first felt light-headed, quickly followed by stomach pains, and then a loose/heavy feeling of the body, and the second we began to see colors, we passed out. So you gave a very wrong answer which could have caused the harm of a large number of individuals who decided to read and take advantage of your reply. Next time, you should make sure you know exactly what you are talking about, or know if what you are talking about is right or wrong. SERIOUSLY.

Quote:

PostPosted: 01/16/06 - 21:31 Post subject:

I have to say that I am surprised by your question. I don’t know what the cause of your friend losing consciousness was, but I can say that I am pretty sure that locking his knees was not the cause. This can not make you pass out. By locking your knees you diminish the use of the muscles in your legs and this increases the blood return from the legs. Your heart has less blood returning to be sent to the brain as blood pools in the veins of your legs. By unlocking your knees you will be forced to use the muscles in the legs more in order to stay in the standing position. I don’t know how to explain this to you except telling you that there is no artery in the knees that gets blocked and causing this. For someone to pass out, it takes quite a long period of time standing with the knees locked. And even then, passing out is more associated with high temperature, just like passing out on hot days. I hope that I have gave you clear enough answer.

I'm not sure if all of what this guy is saying is true, because i know that when you lock your knees you do in fact pass out, I've seen it many times being in the army....but if the part he said about the blood pooling in the veins of your knees and less blood returning to your brain is true...then that alone could make you pass out. When your brain doesn't have enough blood flow that means that the oxygen supply from your blood is also not going to your brain..causing you to faint. It'd be just like holding your breath for a long time, without the proper amount of oxygen you need coming in, you will pass out.

Yes u cannnn pass out! I just did that today during my njrotc class! It made me throw up 2 but then i was fine 4 the rest of the day.

I stand with my knees locked all the time... I mean really, who just stands there with bent knees

You have bend your knees a little. There are a lot of people who stand like that in order to not pass out, while in formation or during inspection for ROTC. It's barely noticeable to stand with your knees a little bent. Why would you stand with your knee's locked anyways?

If you lock your knees you WILL pass out! It happened to me while in the U.S. Army during Class A uniform inspection. I had shin splits really bad and I made the critical error of locking my knees. One writer stated it perfectly - I felt some perspiration, colours flashed before me, and eventually you just collapse. I blacked out and at the same time I could feel the blood flow returning to my legs! TRUE STORY! So DON'T LOCK YOUR KNEES OR DRINK CARBONATED BEVERAGES. Drink lots of water and eat bananas for POTASSIUM ( or Potassium tablets - works like a charm )!

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE? i get bored alot and this looks like fun so i want to try .!@!@!@!@!.Code:

Locking your knees while standing for an extended period of time will indeed cause you to pass out. It has happened several times this year alone at my highschool's chorus performances. One member literally fell off the back of the stage because he locked his knees. It causes pressure against your greater saphenous vein and your femoral artery which, as everyone has said repeatedly throughtout this forum, causes a lack of oxygen supply to the brain, which WILL eventually lead to unconciousness.

Yes, you can faint from locking your knees. What it does is reduces blood flow in your legs and your body reacts to bend your knees to reopen the blocked blood flow. I learned this the hard way.

I had a ''audition marching band practice'' the other day and the instructor of the woodwind sections tells us not to lock our knees when we are in our first position for marching. I have not seen anyone pass out, but I was close to passing out myself just from standing with my instrument in the ''horns down'' position. My parents don't believe it's possible to pass out from locking your knees, but I experienced it myself, so I would think that it is possible to pass out from locking your knees.

It is most definitely possible to pass out because of it. I did that just today at my brother's wedding. I was standing at the front as a groomsmen, and I hadn't been told to keep my knees bent, so I locked them to stand still. After a couple minutes I started to feel sick, and then I got incredibly light headed before passing out completely.

i am about to try it wish me not passing out :-D :-S >;)