I am a 58 year old female, post menopausal and overweight. For the past 15 years I have noticed that when I stand for any length of time, I start sweating excessively. It does not matter if the temperature is hot or cold. It does not matter if I am moving or standing still....within a few minutes I wil be sweating so much I will have sweat dripping from my face. THis has increased as I've gotten older, and now has become so invasive that I hesitate to do any activity that requires me to stand at all. I have had my heart stress tested and it is fine. These ARE NOT HOT FLASHES - trust me - I know the difference.

Doctors dont take this condition seriously - they shrug it off as a symptom of being overweight or menopause - but I started having this issue when I was not heavy, and prior to menopause.

Can anybody help me!?

I thought it was just ME!!!! Can anyone answer our question? I'm in the same situation; 54 yr old female, peri menopausal and overweight. Thanks

OMG, when I read the first lady's comment, I thought I had written it! I too am 59 years old. I had a hysterectomy in Nov of 2000. I know what a hot flash is and I have been on bio-identical estrogen and progesterone for years. These sweats are not hot flashes. These occur EVERY TIME I AM STANDING STILL OR MOVING AROUND DOING HOUSEWORK (of which I can only stand to work for about 5 minutes). I am constantly wiping off my back and under my breasts! A dry washcloth will be quite wet within a few minutes. It happens in all kinds of weather although I find humidity makes me feel worse. And yes I am overweight thanks to the hysterectomy. I do have something called neurocardiogenic syncope. That means I pass out if I remain standing still for just a few minutes. I have had two positive tilt table tests and both times I passed out in 8 to 10 minutes. I have had 2 cardiac ablations and they don't help the sweating and they haven't helped my palpitations. During the last year I've developed bigeminy. That means I go through rhythms of irregular heartbeat where every other beat does not produce a pulse. I don't know when this bigeminy is going on, thank God. This sweating is NOT your run of the mill hyperhydrosis. My hands don't sweat! My socks are a little damp, but I think that is normal. SO, IF THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO KNOWS HOW TO STOP THIS SWEATING, P L E A S E, LET ME KNOW!!

Quote:  Here's one for you...I'm a guy and experience the same symptoms.  I actually do better if I keep moving than if I stand still.  While speaking to groups or making presentations I do fine for the first five minutes, then I can feel it coming on and within minutes, I am reaching for something to towel off with...at that point I am dripping...literally dripping with sweat.  I thought it was due to my weight and perhaps it is.  I recently dropped 60 pounds and intend to loose considerably more in hope that it will stem the tide (punn intended).  I know that I have some medical issues but as I am a man in western Oregon who enjoys all of the outdoors we have here...I don't go to doctors unless I'm bleeding, something stops working or falls off, none of which have occurred.  At 57 years of age, 6'4" and 329 pounds, I have come to accept that it is all part of the process and should not be stressed over.  I will continue to mow my lawns, ride ATVs, dance and socialize with a cold adult beverage until I drop or...unless I start to bleed or something falls off.  Wouldn't it be nice if there were an easy cure or fast fix...suffer on my friends.  You have company and it's not hot flashes.

Just got through speaking with a older friend with the same problem.  First you should have a "strong" discussion with your physician about this.  If he/she doesn't discuss it further, find another physician who will. 

Went on line and found that the "sweating" may be from a drop in Blood Pressure, due to multiple reasons (i.e. disease, medication, strokes or injuries) to the body &/or nervous system.  Following discussions with a medical person, our thoughts centered on the heart and circulation, which is known to effect many parts of the body. 

Two things which might help, outside of your physician changing or cutting back on your medication, is mild exercise and/or wearing diabetic or prescription elastic socks to keep your blood from pooling in the lower limbs.  Your doctor may wish to write a prescription to have your legs fitted for the socks.  Proper fitting will give you the currect circumferance, so your circulation will not be restricted.  These socks might also help people who walk or exercise during the day; yet still encounter Cold, Painful Limbs.

SAFETY FIRST:  It is vital that your doctor do a full exam or refer you to a Cardiologist and/or Neurologist, to rule out issues associated with the Circulatory and Nervous System.   

I was just looking up my symptoms online and found this board, the exact same thing happens to me I'm a 24 year old man and I'm not overweight nor do I have any health problems. Just today I was standing in line at the bank for a good 45 minutes and I started sweating all over after just a few minutes it was horrific, I could feel sweat dripping down my legs and I had a big wet patch around my crotch it was HUMILIATING! I was praying that nobody noticed but I can't imagine they didn't after standing around me for that whole time and this is not an isolated incident it happens whenever I stand still for more than 5 minutes. No matter how much antiperspirant I wear, no matter how cold the room is I sweat like crazy, I could be in a meat freezer and still sweat just standing still and it's making me extremely depressed and anxious about doing anything that involves standing for a long time and I can't find anything to help me even my doctor suggested a diet change which did not help.

It looks like we are not the only ones and the age range is differing too. I'm 44 and getting the same problems although im not over weight so i dont actually think that has anything to do with it. I dont know if everyone else gets the swelling legs too and the feeling a bit sick with it. It takes hours sometimes to stop too and lately ive always got a very hot head. I know its not the change as i had full hysterectomy at 28 and am on HRT
If anyone gets a reply of how to stop this please let me know this has been getting worse lately.
Can not back off my medication as i cant get outta bed without it, doctor has checked medication and told me its nothing there doing it .

Well, everyone has the same problem, but no one has an answer!  It sure would be nice to hear back from someone who has figured out what is the problem.  Thanks!

I starting having the same problem a few years ago and I thought it was just because I was overweight.  My doctor got tired of hearing me complain about the sweating and the palps and send me to a cardiologist.  Lots of tests and they didn't find anything.  They put me on a beta-blocker and I decided they were right, it was just because I was overweight and out of shape.  Last month I had a chest CT b/c a routine chest xray needed some clarification.  It turns out I have a tumor on my adrenal gland. The doctor says its probably benign, but it will need to be removed.  He also stated it is very likely to be the cause of the sweating. My endocrinologist ran all kinds of tests so I should know what is happening in the next few weeks.  I just wanted to put that out there -- in a million years I never would have thought an endocrinologist would have the answer to my sweating problem. 

What has the follow up been???

god me to an im 47.any answers would help its horrible..

I have just started having this problem. After standing for about 5 minutes, I begin to sweat profusely from my face. Not much sweat anywhere else. I could have my whole body ice cold and still be dripping sweat. Then I usually start feeling nauseous, sometimes I get shaky. If I sit down fast enough and get cold liquids started and basically lay down or drop by torso over my knees and let my hands drop to the floor, I can recover in a fairly short amount of time. If I don't catch it fast enough, I will end up feeling sick all over, headache and have to lay down for a couple of hours. I am 51, had a hysterectomy in my twenties so I know this in not hot flashes, I am overweight and have back issues but don't often take any pain meds. I do take some other medications but nothing new. I had a nerve conduction study/EMG the day before this started but they insist that there is no way that the test could have anything to do with it.

Sounds like diabetes.

I am the same way and am so embarrassed.

The same thing has started happening to me in the last year. I am 44, female.