MY RIGHT KNEE FIRST SWELLED UP 2 YEARS AGO AFTER A 1/2 MARATHON AND EVENTUALLY THE SWELLING WENT DOWN SOME. THE KNEE KEPT HURTING AND STILL DOES, NOT CONSTANT, BUT USUALLY STANDING FOR LONG PERIODS OR DURING/AFTER ACTIVITY. I KEPT RUNNING SOME, BUT EVENTUALLY THE OTHER KNEE STARTED HURTING AS WELL. BOTH MY KNEES TURN RED AND ALMOST HOT TO THE TOUCH, ESPECIALLY WHEN I'M STRESSED OR STANDING, EXERCISING. SWELLING ALSO PRESENT. I DO HAVE GRATING SENSATIONS IN BOTH WITH AUDIBLE NOISES, SO I'M GUESSING SOME PATELLOFEMORAL PROBLEMS ARE PRESENT. I'M JUST BAFFLED AS TO WHY MY KNEES WOULD BE RED DURING THESE SITUATIONS MENTIONED. I'VE HAD EVERY TEST I CAN IMAGINE (RHEUMATOID WORKUPS X3), 2 MRI'S (REVEALING SOME SLIGHT FRAYING IN LATERAL MENISCI, BUT NOTHING SERIOUS), ARTHROSCOPIC SURGERY FOR THE RIGHT LATERAL MENISCUS, EMG/NERVE CONDUCTION-NORMAL, CORTISONE IN BOTH KNEES X2 AND ALSO ASPIRATED WITH NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY. ALSO HAD A BONE SCAN AND HAVE TAKEN NEURONTIN, NORTRIPTYLINE, MOBIC AND SEVERAL OTHER MEDICATIONS FOR TRYING TO HELP WITH INFLAMMATION. NO DOCTOR THINKS IT IS RSD (CRPS). THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO HAVE SPREAD TO ME FEET/TOES AS WELL. THEY WILL ALSO SWELL AND TURN RED AND GET A TINGLY FEELING. OFTEN TIMES THIS FEELING IS QUITE PAINFUL AND IS ACCOMPANIED BY EXCESSIVE SWETTING OF MY FEET. ELEVATING MY LEGS SEEMS TO HELP AS DOES ICE/COLD. i AM ONLY 24 AND I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO KEEP MY FEET UP ALL DAY THOUGH AS I'M VERY ACTIVE AND HAVE TO BE FOR MY JOB. JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM OR HAS ANY USEFUL SUGGESTIONS. PLEEEASE HEEELP!!!!

Wow, i thought i was the only one!!! I have not been for all the tests you ahve but i have the same isue. i have had them x-ray'd and also have had blood work done and they have to answers for me. They are not as bad when i am walking but if I have to stand for any length of time they get red, hot and swell. The only thing that makes them feel better is putting my feet up and iceing them if need be. I have no idea what is worng with us as this just came up out of the blue, one night i was satnding at the stove and the next moment my knees were red, hot , and swollen. I also have the same noise which i do not remember having before this condition started. I have recieved orthotics which seem to delay the process but not fix it, I have just started up the a ciro too to see if he can fix things as he says that sometimes lower back pain can be related to knee problems....I will keep you posted if i find relief.....good luck and take it easy

My theory about this is that this is caused by tight calf muscles. This is particularly common in runners (or those with a history of running). This tightness in the calf muscle restricts blood flow through the calf muscle. The end result is poor blood flow that gets blocked in the knees and the feet (red, sweaty feet).

The remedy is to start on a calf stretching program on a regular basis. Be careful to stretch to capacity (and a little beyond) but do not exceed your ability as this can be damaging as well.

Good luck and hope this is helpful.

My 17 year old daughter has this happen every time she stands for a while, even just standing to do her hair! Her knees look like they are sunburnt! They feel hot to the touch. She isn't a runner or very athletic but she is fit and healthy...should we worry about what this could be? Could it be a circulation issue?
Worried mom needs some answers!

I also have this problem, I noticed it when I was probably 17 also I'm now 21 and it seems to have gotten worse. I now have it on my feet and up my ankles it gets blotchy when I elevate my feet then gradually goes away. I don't have any answers but I'm thinking that it may be a circulation problem, my hands will also turn kind of red and swell a little when I go walking. I am also worried and need some answers.

I also have this issue...I've been a runner, am not overweight, have very well developed calves from bodybuilding, etc but now when I run, my knees turn really red...I'm worried that it's some sort of circulation issue where the blood is being blocked going through the knee area....I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this one...I've also had major tests for heart issues, knees scoped, etc. but this has just started....Argh!

I am 44 and work long hours and have for years. I too have red hot knees and they are on fire and hot hot to touch it lasts about an 1/2 hr or longer and then goes away. What is it?

Hi I am new to this forum. It is the only site I have found where others have the same symptoms as my 17 year old daughter - red very, very hot knees (once elbows as well), comes on quickly usually late afternoon or evening, lasts between 1 and 2 hours and then disappears. Just this last week it has happened 3 times and it was accompanied by pain in the knees, no swelling.
I am relieved to hear she is not alone, but even though you have all posted your symptoms and concerns, how do you find an answer on this board? I'm not finding it very easy to navigate. Would appreciate any input or help. Many thanks, Chris.

Try using a magnesium supplement. This should reduce inflamationa and improve over-all knee function. I used this method for my knees and they seem to respond well. You can either orally take a supplement and/or soak in Epsom Salts or even spray magnesium oil on the joints.

I have a similar problem. I'm 21 and healthy, though I don't exercise often I do eat well and walk a decent amount. I thought it might have been an allergic reaction. It has happened to me three times where suddenly out of nowhere my knees, elbows, and knuckles get red, hot, and sensitive to touch. Each time happened around the time I was eating something but it was never the same something! Once it happened while I was standing and twice while I was sitting, they all lasted for 20-30 minutes. There are many good remedies for inflammation: turmeric, boswellia, ginger, etc. You can find these online or at your local health food store. If anyone figures out what in the world this is caused by, let me know : )

Red Hot knees are never normal and are usually caused by autoimmune disorders like ra or Lupus I would have your doctor check you for auto's.

I am 21 and have always noticed red hot knees after simple movements like standing and jogging. I am quite active and I have been regularly practicing yoga since I was fifteen. Yoga seems to help out with the pain, but as for the post about the tight calve muscles, I'd have to disagree with that statement because I am extremely loose in that area. I have been tested as well and I have no signs of arthritis and other bone related issues, but as I talk to more and more people, apparently it is hard to catch autoimmune diseases before they flair up. My father and grandmother have rheumatoid and my brother also has an autoimmune related disease called crones. My guess, is to prepare yourself and your body for such diseases because if they were to come, it is better that you have accepted that as a possibility. Eat healthy, build up muscles around your joints, and drink lots of water.

My daughter has this did u find anything out?

I have the same issues I have been checked for both RA and Lupus and have neither. My Dr. does feel it is autoimmune related however. My symptoms are hot, red, sometimes but not always swelling in my ears, knees and sometimes hands. Stress is a big trigger, but sometimes it just comes on for no reason. Sometimes it is more painful than others, especially my ears and knees. My knees sometimes "crack or creak" and my ears are sometimes so painful that my hair brushing against them is almost unbearable.

I would like any information available on this; I seem to be the first in my family to experience this; however my youngest son has had red ears from time to time.

My knees are exactly the same. The doctors just ignored me when I explained that feeling stressed made them almost instantly red. The day after the red and swelling my legs really ache. Like everyone else mine began 2 years ago out of the blue in a nightclub. Since then it has become much worse. I need some answers because all doctors seem to just pass me off to the next person! I don't see why we should live with the pain. I just really want to know what's wrong with me. Has anyone been correctly diagnosed yet?