Hi, I have one question regarding immune system. I am 43 years old. I have hyperthyroidism and it is caused by Grave's disease. I didn't have any other major disease. I don't understand much in medicine and I would like to know one thing. Can you stop your immune system from attacking the thyroid gland?

No we can't stop immune system to attack the thyroid gland because we can't understand why it happens. All we know that immune system attack its own tissue like it is infection. Scientists think it is caused by genes. It can cause hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism. We can only regulate levels of hormones in our body by medications or by surgery.

There seems to be a connection between DIET, TOXINS accumulated in the body and thyroid malfunction. This has not been scientifically attested to (yet), but there are some indications that gluten, cadmium, dairy products, processed sugar, copper/magnesium deficiencies (or imbalance) and such, may at the very least contribute to the problem.
Each body composition is unique and different; which makes it very difficult to come up with a one size fits all answer. Also, when doing lab tests, just because they show "normal" levels of this or that substance, does not mean that everything is normal. For instance, the ratio of copper vs. iron in your body could be out of balance even though you don't necessarily show a "deficiency".
Each person has to look into their own dietary situation and try to identify what the triggers are. I think processed sugar definitely is one of the culprits in my hyperthyroidism problems. My heart palpitations and racing have gone down radically since I eliminated processed sugar (and other things) from my diet.
Again, everyone is different. Do a Google search on thyroid and gluten or cadmium; copper; sugar, etc. etc. and read all you can find on the subject. Some of the info is bound to apply to you. God Bless.