My wife is in surgery room. They are performing a total thyroidectomy (complete removal of thyroid gland). They had to do it because of her constant high levels of hormones. She had problems with hyperthyroidism due to Grave's disease. Tell me what we can expect after the surgery? How will she feel? Is it painful?

I understand your concern but don't worry too much. I am sure she will be fine. If everything passes normal she should be able to go home 8 hours after the surgery or the next day. She will receive some pain killers but it will last just a few days. She will have problems swallowing food and liquids, although she can't eat after the surgery only to take liquids. She can't lift anything heavy and she will take hormones rest of her life.

Hello there,

I believe that doctor has already explained you all concerned this but you want to hear it from other people as well and I can understand that. First of all I have to say that you are wonderful husband because just few days ago my friend who is suffering with Grave’s disease as well had divorced because her husband couldn’t live with the symptoms of this condition.

Second, stop stressing yourself out because everything will be just fine and you will have opportunity to see your wife very soon as a totally different person. Problems which were consequence of enlarged thyroid are going to be reduced as long as she follows doctor’s tips and drinking her medications on a regular basis. Good luck with everything.