I think that my thyroid gland became overactive. I have symptoms swelling in throat that causes difficulty swallowing, sweaty, tremor and weight loss. I am going to see a doctor I just wanted to know how this gland is functioning. I am worried about this.

There are two main thyroid hormones, Thyroxine =T4 and T3, but T4 is the main hormone made by the thyroid gland and it is converted to T3 in the tissues which themselves are more sensitive to T3. The thyroid gland is stimulated to make thyroid hormones by another hormone called thyroid stimulating hormone TSH. THS is secreted from the pituitary gland which lies at the base of the brain. Hyperthyroidism is a name for condition caused by overactive thyroid gland. The symptoms you’ve been experiencing are definitely symptoms of overactive thyroid gland. This problem is usually treated with medications or radioactive iodine, but partial removal of the gland is sometimes recommended instead for young children or women of child-bearing age. Anyway, see a doctor right away!

My Endo has suggested having my left lobe of my thyroid removed due to a large nodule on it. I have been taking PTU/Tapazole to control the overactive nodule. Why is surgery suggested for young women, she told me PTU/Tapazole can cause long term liver damage and that is why surgery may be the way to go. Is this true? Thanks.