What it means Physical exam in checking thyroid gland? My mother is going tomorrow to see her endocrinologist. She said that she felt and saw that her thyroid gland is bigger then usual so she needs to check that out. Her friend told her that she will have to go through Physical examination and she is a bit worried. Should she be?

Not at all, of course. Actually, she has already performed physical examination on herself. She palpated the gland and saw it in the mirror, concluding that it is bigger and that there might be something going on. Inspection and palpitation are what physical exam consists of. I hope that there were not any other symptoms.

Hallo,
The thing that I know is that sometimes doctors do thyroid function test to see how your thyroid is functioning. These are used to check if you have hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. If I am not mistaking they will take some of her blood and test the levels of hormones in her blood. Some thyroid function tests also check the level of a hormone made by the pituitary gland in the brain, which acts on the thyroid gland. If she is noticing some abnormalities with her thyroid gland it would be vise to visit endocrinologist. This is her best shot to find what is wrong with here because the test will be very accurate. I hope this helped a bit.