I have heard for thyroid gland of my friend for the first time few days ago. Then accidentally I was reading one woman had terrible health problems due to this gland. Since I have never heard for this, I was surprised. Is thyroid gland so much important, and what is role of this gland? Can you tell me more about it, and more about abnormalities of thyroid gland?

Thyroid gland is one of the endocrine glands, very important parts of human body. Its role is to make hormones that regulate physiological functions in our body. The thyroid gland manufactures thyroid hormone, as you could conclude. This very important hormone regulates the rate at which body carries on its necessary functions. The most common diseases people complain, are an over or under active gland. These conditions are called hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. The diagnosis of a thyroid abnormality in function or a thyroid mass is made by taking your health history and performing a physical examination. Doctor should examine patient’s neck asking him to lift up his chin to make thyroid gland more prominent. Abnormalities of thyroid function are usually treated medically which could help in most of cases. For example, if there is insufficient production of thyroid hormone, this may be given in a form of a thyroid hormone pill taken daily. Hyperthyroidism is treated but usually it requires the surgical removal of the thyroid gland.