Hi, I have been suffering from osteoarthritis for a very long time. The doctor warned me that this condition can't be cured and that the medication I am using only helps with the symptoms. Because of severe cartilage deterioration I am now diagnosed with spinal stenosis as well. The bone spurs are pressuring my spinal cord in a way that is causing severe pain in my lower back and legs. The pain killers are not helping me anymore. That is why I'm going for spinal laminectomy. I understand that this procedure will relieve pressure from my spinal cord. However, I don't quite understand what happens with the hole in my spine. What are the chances for complications during spinal laminectomy?

Hello, I am sorry to hear about the complications osteoarthritis is causing you. I am sure that you and your doctor have tried all of the non surgical procedures before you decided on spinal laminectomy. You have understood the point of the procedure, but I can see that the steps that are taken during the spinal laminectomy are not that clear. It is true that parts of the vertebrae are removed during this procedure, but these are very small parts that are pressuring the nerve roots and causing pain. However, in some cases the removal of larger parts is unavoidable and in these cases spinal fusion is done in order to maintain the spine stability. Like in any other procedure complications, that include infection and damage to the spinal cord, are possible. That is why the spinal laminectomy should be done by a surgeon with a lot of experience. I would advise, that if you have some more doubts, you should talk to your doctor about them.