I had mortons neuroma surgery 3 weeks ago, 3rd and 4th space. I also have a neuroma between 2nd and 3rd toe which was not removed.I also had a spur removed on bottom of third toe and tendon release 2nd toe. I still have pain and numbness in 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes as well as a lot of numbness on the bottom of all three toes. I have stayed off feet for 2 weeks and only minimal walking third week. Will I get any of the lost sensation back as time goes by? I am finding it hard to walk as I don't have much feeling on the bottom of my foot. When should I expect the pain to stop. How long do you recommend I take off work. I stand and walk all day on my job? What is the success rate of neuroma surgery?

You won't get the sensation back, because the nerve has been removed. It is a tough pill to swallow when the podiatrist says that it is a small bit of numbness and you will get used to it. Mine was 6 months ago, and I have not gotten used to it.

I had surgery not only once but twice, on the same foot for the same location. I am still experiencing pain and numbness in the foot. I
am not willing to do the surgery for a third time though my doctor has
advised me the nerve may have grown back again.
I am at a loss as to what to do. The shots really hurt though I do get some relief for a short period of time.

I've read there is irreversible numbness after surgical removal of Morton's Neuroma in my left foot, but I did not experience that.  The doctor said my neuroma was large when she removed it about 12 years ago.  My relief was fairly quick, and numbness was not a problem.  I haven't had a problem with that foot since the surgery.  I recently took up running again, and I'm now developing the same thing in my right foot.  I don't know where that doctor is now, but I may need to look her up. 

I had neuroma surgery 16 months ago, 2/3 and 3/4 toes (2 neuromas removed) Doctor told me that I might experience numbness in toe as well, noting that I'd get used to it. Well I haven't, and the old feeling of crumbled up socks is back under the 2nd toe and 3 third toe is numb til the very tip (outside edge on right side of toe, where it's very sensitive to touch) and I'm beginning to feel another neuroma or stub in the bottom of the foot. Beginning to regret ever having surgery....

I had a large MN in between 2-3 and a moderate one in between 3-4, for 1.5 years. It was miserable! I was wearing 4 pairs of shoes during my 12 hours shifts at hospital. I had alcohol injections that were a temp fix. I purchased $500 orthotics that hurst my feet for 3 months and never really were right, 4 pairs of shoes, physical therapy, shock wave therapy and nothing worked. I had the surgery 2.5 weeks ago and I am still in pain and my toes feel asleep all the time and numb still. I think it takes one month. I am waiting and I am optimistic for good healing. My only concern is that she removed both nerves? I am getting weekly acupuncture and taking chinese herbals medications to increase circulation to my foot and toes. I am anti-inflammatory meds and Traumeel. I had NO swelling at week one appt. At week two follow up my incisions looked amazing (unlike the knotted, raised mess I see on you tube) and I am on course, except this numbness and pain. I am still unable to walk from hell to toe, due to the pain and my toes do swell with activity. I wish you all great healing and pain free feet! 

I'm six months out and I have general painful numbness on the bottom and top of the foot. It's not as bad as the original neuroma but it's not comfortable. My doc said don't worry It would go away. I don't believe him as there has been zero change since the operation.

Is it any better now?

I've had Mortons neuroma on both feet but didn't get to the point of surgery. Now with my problem on my foot resurfacing, I'm told by Wellness Resources to take calcium AEP (8/day - I weigh 125). I also take the same mg.of magnesium glycinate (the highest quality and best absorbing magnesium out there which doesn't cause diarrhea). You can call this company and they can make suggestions (located in Edina MN) free on the phone. The Cal AEP helps to heal the myelin sheathing of the nerves. They also suggested their supreme form of Tocotrienols vitamin E, which I know would help circulation - also grapeseed extract is good for that. Hope this helps your misery. I would think walking more will help you.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I drop a table on my foot back in 2008. Had surgery in 2009 to remove the fracture bone. Then the doctor said there would be scare tissue so back for another surgery in 2010. My big toe is still numb and now just recently another toe has become numb just recently. This is very irrating. Whats going on

I had two nerves cut f/two neuromas, last Dec. 2014. Three toes are numb, they do NOT bend, ball of foot swollen and shooting pain, STILL in one of the toes. They are always extremely purple. I lost most of the circulation in these three toes! Almost lost toes in surgery! My foot is disabled. It will NEVER be the same. I do not believe my foot will improve in the future. I read an article, by podiatrist, he stated if you still have shooting pain, the entire neuroma was not sucessfully removed! If I attempt another surgery, I will lose my toes! Anyone else have this issue??

I agree w/you. It has been 5mos.since I had two neuromas removed. Three toes, permanently numb, shooting pains in third toe, ball of foot is swollen. Toe exercises, swimming w/a kick board....no improvement. My foot is permanently disabled. Surgeon stated, mild edema?! Really??!! I am in pain 24/7 w/left foot!

I had mine 3 months ago. Its weird coz its still numb until now. Is this permanent?

I had the surgery four months ago and the numbness hasn't changed, The pain is gone but I wonder if this numbness in my toes will go away ? Either way I am proud to get rid of the extreme pain I was in before. Yes I would do it again if I had it to do over....Definitely

just had my surgery 4 days ago with complete resection of nerve...no numbness!!