I was diagnosed with Cervical Stenosis in November, 2008. It seemed to advance rather quickly. I was having minimal symptoms in November and by the time of the surgery I was having trouble walking and was very weak in my arms and legs. I had a laminectomy with fusion on Jan. 21, 2010. I was told I would be in the hospital 2-3 days. I was sent to a rehab the day after my surgery and spent two weeks there. My arms were now extremely weak. I could not even feed myself initially. While my right arm has come back, my left is still very weak. My left thumb and forefinger is still numb while my right has improved.

I go to physical therapy 3 times per week. I was told by my hospital doctor, who did a pin prick test, that I should recover. My orthapedic surgeon said it is due to the C5 nerve still reacting to the surgery. I had a CAT scan and he said all looks good as far as the hardware My questions are: How long will this take? Is this normal? What can I do to help it heal?

I had a C3-C7 laminectomy in March 2007. After the surgery fingers and part of head is numb, the doctor told me it would recover. It has been three years since then, the numbness in the fingers went away faster, but the head still feels numb even though it is better. I guess it will recover eventually. Just took a long while...My goal now is trying to keep me from another operation. Since C3-C7 is fused, the rotation and bending load of the neck of C3-C7 is taken over by both ending vertebrae. Therefore the ending vertebrae may deteriorate faster than normal and I guess that is the source of pain (just guess). To achieve that, I will avoid unnecessary bending of neck, or over bending of neck. I will try not to lift heavy load if possible. I will try to use foam matrix and pillow to relieve the pressure.

i willnever ever have another operation again I had the scwers removed because they wre very loose and so I went and had them out n more scwed in and other plate n scres in n scraping of my bones cut 8 inches and 3 months now n im still in so much pain n no pain meds n im crying each nevey day its so awfull what do I do im so vey sad .