I had anterior cervical spinal fusion surgery, on April 20 2012, I had to have the c4, c5, c6, and c7 fused. I feel better in regards to the numbness and pain. My problem is eating and swallowing. I choke on my on saliva, cannot eat solid foods, always feel like something is stuck in my throat. most days I can't even get pills down. It is difficult to sleep as when I lay down it feels like my throat is closing off. most days I hack up whatever I try to ingest and sometimes throw up when I did not ingest anything @ all. My Dr. put me on a steroid pack with prednisone to relieve what he said was inflammation caused by moving the esosphagas. I have been taking it for 7days now and still no relief. Also as a result of the surgey my blood pressure went haywire causing me to be placed on blood pressure medicine. I had no issues with blood pressure prior to this surgery. I feel like this will get no better. any sugestions?? anyone else having these issues.

I want to SCREAM...I am four weeks post surgery and have developed THIS CHOKING SENSATION and a host of other issues after the fact. I demanded to be seen today and the PA advised me to go to my PC physician about having 'acute anxiety issues' !!! I decided to get online tonight and see if I could find out any thing and I come across your post. She also ASKED me if I wanted to be put on the prednisolone AGAIN....(I find it curious that a Dr would ask me if I want this) I said no because it caused my blood sugars to be way too high. I also have developed numbness in my right arm with pain in my shoulder and DIZZINESS. I asked if this was NORMAL...she did not say it was but now I find on the INTERNET that there are a host of people who have this SIDE EFFECT. Why couldn't she just say YES ???? I just want to scream ! She told me that maybe a decongestant might help! I am so darn mad right now! Oh and I also find out that my insurance is refusing to pay for the surgery because they used a non FDA approved jell ! God help me! Please let me know if you found anything to alleviate this choking sensation.  

I had surgery in 2007 it was a removal of a little schwanoma (bening tumor) that was closing my spinal cord, at the c7 level, short time after the surgery I had a very stressful situation and one of the stiches open up and then cerebrospinal fluid started leaking forming a large collection of fluid in that area thas is about 8 cm big, pretty large, then for the last 3 years I started experiencing an annoying feeling of choking and something stuck on my throat, with the need of constant clearing the throat which lead me to terrible pain on front of neck and feeling of closing, paralized throat, like the air doesn't go through, I am going crazy with this, I take valium here and there, ibuprofen, etc. went to 3 ENT, nobody understand this,on top of this I hae 2 small nodules on my thyroid, there is no help, doctors take this lightly and always tell you that is in your mind, the effort tryint to clear the throat is so bad and for so long that my head and face and back are hurting so bad, also I can eat solid food with caution, but the worse is drinking water, especially if is cold, anybody having something similar to this? please help me!!

I take valium which is a muscle relaxant to alleviate the horrible constant choking feeling , also I go under the hot shower and let the water run on my front and back neck, I understand exactly what you are going trough and the anxiety this cause, let me know, good luck, Hebe

Ever since the surgery my throat feels like there's something in it. I have burping problems and pills get caught. It just feels stupid. I also threw up when they took the tube out of my throat. If it weren't for this problem I would feel almost normal. I have the surgical line and the drain line to heal. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I feel so alone with this.